From: mrs@wrs.com (Mike Stump)
To: egcs@cygnus.com, s892403@ccit.edu.tw
Subject: Re: A question about porting GCC to a javachip
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:27:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> From: "edward" <s892403@ccit.edu.tw>
> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 16:24:10 +0800

I don't like your mime formatting, nor the embedded html.

> Hi:
> 1.In some porting reports , they indicate that it is easy to add a new =
> machine description  to GCC --just add a few lines to =20
>    "configure.in",but when I try to do it , I find that I have to create =
> my javachip.h(tm.h) &javachip.c(tm.c)&javachip.md(.md
>     file)first in order  to  avoid some unexpecting problems.

Did you read the using and porting GNU CC manual?  If not, you should.
We require that you read it before we're likely to help you.  See
*.texi in the distribution.

> 2. In order to achieve the porting task , do I have to rewrite any =
> source code file in GCC , or all I have to do is to handle the=20
>     four files above mentioned ?

You may, if it was a normal port, then you should not need to, but if
the java chip isn't like a standard CPU then you will probably need
to.  Don't worry, the testsuite and debugging the problems found will
let you know when you need modify something.

>      Therefore, in order to achieve the task above mentioned . What =
> files should
>      I have to modify ? And how should I do it ? Could you please give =
> me some
>      detailed steps or illustrations ?=20

This is mostly beyond the scope of this list.  Please read and study
five ports (config/386/386.*, config/sparc/sparc.*, ...) and the
documentation, and you'll get a feel for what you need to do.  The
pick a port that most closely matches your chip, copy the files (ick,
I hate saying that), and now modify those parts that are different
from your chip.

Good luck