* DEMANGLING for SOLARIS CC
@ 1998-12-21  4:35 Christian Alonso
From: Christian Alonso @ 1998-12-21  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'EGCS'

Hi there:
We have recently started to use egcs 1.1.1 release in our
HPUX/AIX/SOLARIS platforms. Unfortunately (and we plan to change that in
the near future if we can), we develop software using ILOG libraries,
and this company has decided to stop giving GCC/EGCS (anything GNU)
versions of his libraries and is giving only versions of them for native
compilers (aCC, xlC and CC in HPUX, AIX and SOLARIS).

Anyway, the big question is:
 - I've seen that aCC demangling support has been announced. Are there
plans for Solaris/AIX demangling in the near future? I would be willing
to help with that.

Thanks in advance,
Cristian Alonso

* Re: DEMANGLING for SOLARIS CC
@ 1998-12-21  8:46 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-12-21  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Alonso; +Cc: egcs

> Hi there:
> We have recently started to use egcs 1.1.1 release in our
> HPUX/AIX/SOLARIS platforms. Unfortunately (and we plan to change that in
> the near future if we can), we develop software using ILOG libraries,
> and this company has decided to stop giving GCC/EGCS (anything GNU)
> versions of his libraries and is giving only versions of them for native
> compilers (aCC, xlC and CC in HPUX, AIX and SOLARIS).

Then I'm afraid you are out of luck, unless you can pursuade them to
change their policies.

> Anyway, the big question is:
>  - I've seen that aCC demangling support has been announced. Are there
> plans for Solaris/AIX demangling in the near future? I would be willing
> to help with that.

All demangling support means is that gdb works on HP aCC output.  It
doesn't mean you can link egcs/g++ code with aCC code and have it work.

* Re: DEMANGLING for SOLARIS CC
@ 1998-12-30 17:13 ` Edward Jason Riedy
From: Edward Jason Riedy @ 1998-12-30 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Alonso; +Cc: 'EGCS'

And Christian Alonso writes:
 -
 - Anyway, the big question is:
 -  - I've seen that aCC demangling support has been announced. Are there
 - plans for Solaris/AIX demangling in the near future? I would be willing
 - to help with that.

Solaris doesn't have a fully defined C++ ABI spec yet.  Also, as Mr.
Buck pointed out, you need a lot more than just name mangling.  An
old draft ABI is at http://access1.sun.com/workshop/ if you're
interested.  When I pestered some folks at Sun, they said they
would release a complete C++ ABI spec for Solaris with the full
release of WorkShop 5.0.  Probably ought to wait for that (and the
gcc EH design) before working on supporting Solaris's C++ ABI.

Jason

* Re: DEMANGLING for SOLARIS CC
@ 1998-12-31  5:18   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1998-12-31  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ejr; +Cc: calonso, egcs

> Probably ought to wait for that (and the
> gcc EH design) before working on supporting Solaris's C++ ABI.

AFAIK, this would be the first time that g++ supports a 'foreign' C++
ABI, right?

Is there *any* precedent of a C++ compiler supporting an ABI other
than its own? (I don't count COM here, MSVC++ <something>
compatibility would qualify)

Not that this would be a bad idea...

Martin

* Re: DEMANGLING for SOLARIS CC
@ 1999-01-31 23:58     ` Theodore Papadopoulo
From: Theodore Papadopoulo @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin v. Loewis; +Cc: ejr, calonso, egcs

> Is there *any* precedent of a C++ compiler supporting an ABI other
> than its own? (I don't count COM here, MSVC++ <something>
> compatibility would qualify)

	To my knowledge Lucid's compiler was doing that. There was at
least two modes (SUN compatible and its own). But of course, this was
ages ago....

	Theo.

Theodore Papadopoulo
Email: Theodore.Papadopoulo@sophia.inria.fr Tel: (33) 04 92 38 76 01

* Re: DEMANGLING for SOLARIS CC
@ 1999-01-31 23:58       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Papadopoulo; +Cc: egcs

Theodore Papadopoulo <Theodore.Papadopoulo@sophia.inria.fr> writes:
> > Is there *any* precedent of a C++ compiler supporting an ABI other
> > than its own? (I don't count COM here, MSVC++ <something>
> > compatibility would qualify)
>
> 	To my knowledge Lucid's compiler was doing that. There was at
> least two modes (SUN compatible and its own). But of course, this was
> ages ago....

I remember something about Metrowerks being compatible to MSVC C++ ABI,
but that might be just marketing literature. Nothing specific in their
web pages.

Regards,
Mumit