* Gprof, pthreads, and Shared Libs on Linux glibc?
@ 1998-12-25  9:41 Stephen Wynne
From: Stephen Wynne @ 1998-12-25  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Linux with glibc-2.0.7-20 I'm attempting to profile a
multi-threaded (LinuxThreads) app that uses a lot of shared libraries.
In the gprof(1) output, I get call graphs but no timing information.
Does anyone have any tips, even just hints about getting performance
data out of egcs in general?

(I picked up the glibc's from
http://odin.appliedtheory.com/debug_thread_rpms/RedHat_5.1/RPMS/i386/ ,
I'm running egcs-1.1b, and I happen to be on RedHat 5.0.)

Do *all* of my libraries have to be compiled with profiling
information in order to get *any* timing data? For example, I don't
see any profiled X11 libraries on my system. Do I need to link
statically when I give the -pg flag to egcs? Do pthreads pretty
much make profiling impossible?

I'm building the latest Blackdown JDK in an effort to help track some
performance problems, so any help would be appreciated!

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-12-25  9:41 UTC | newest]