* Re: OpenBSD support missing, why?
@ 1998-12-30  1:55 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1998-12-30  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brett, egcs

> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:29:56 -0500
> To: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
> From: Brett Dikeman <brett@artelsoft.com>

> Why, out of wild curiosity, isn't OpenBSD supported?

Because not enough people value OpenBSD to work on it.  Maybe you
should use a more valued operating system, or contribute a port
yourself.  Sorry.

* Re: OpenBSD support missing, why?
@ 1998-12-30 19:01 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-12-30 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: brett, egcs

> > Why, out of wild curiosity, isn't OpenBSD supported?
>
> Because not enough people value OpenBSD to work on it.  Maybe you
> should use a more valued operating system, or contribute a port
> yourself.  Sorry.

Sigh.  That's not a useful answer, nor is it a correct one.

The OpenBSD people have a port.  Get it from them, and request that
they do the work to get it into the official egcs release.  The holdup
is on their end.  The egcs maintainers would be delighted to support
OpenBSD, but since they don't run it themselves, they need help.

* Re: OpenBSD support missing, why?
@ 1998-12-30  2:08 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 1998-12-30  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Dikeman; +Cc: egcs

Brett> Why, out of wild curiosity, isn't OpenBSD supported?  I happily
Brett> downloaded egcs-1.1.1, did the good 'ol "configure", and got this in
Brett> response:

	Maybe because of the wild reason that no one from OpenBSD
submitted a configuration with title assigned to the FSF so that it could
be included in EGCS?  If no one volunteered to provide the support, it is
not going to get done on its own.

David

* Re: OpenBSD support missing, why?
@ 1998-12-30  2:02 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-12-30  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Dikeman; +Cc: egcs

  In message < v04103603b2aedd80fefc@[209.21.193.121] >you write:
  > Why, out of wild curiosity, isn't OpenBSD supported?  I happily
  > downloaded egcs-1.1.1, did the good 'ol "configure", and got this in
  > response:
Because nobody's contributed support for OpenBSD that can be legally
included in egcs.

jeff

* Re: OpenBSD support missing, why?
@ 1998-12-30  1:54 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-12-30  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Dikeman; +Cc: egcs

> Why, out of wild curiosity, isn't OpenBSD supported?  I happily
> downloaded egcs-1.1.1, did the good 'ol "configure", and got this in
> response:

The OpenBSD people have not contributed their patches.  That is, while
patches exist, for some reason the authors are unwilling or unable to
assign the changes to the FSF.

* OpenBSD support missing, why?
@ 1998-12-29 11:30 Brett Dikeman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brett Dikeman @ 1998-12-29 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Why, out of wild curiosity, isn't OpenBSD supported?  I happily
downloaded egcs-1.1.1, did the good 'ol "configure", and got this in
response:

Configuring for a i386-unknown-openbsd2.4 host.
Created "Makefile" in /home/brett/egcs-objdir

Configuration i386-unknown-openbsd2.4 not supported
Configure in /home/brett/egcs-objdir/gcc failed, exiting.

?!?!?

Brett
----

Brett Dikeman