* STL[quick questions]
@ 1998-12-04 14:23 Igor Markov
From: Igor Markov @ 1998-12-04 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

  Hello,

    A couple of quick questions that I couldn't answer by
  reading egcs FAQ (it looks very sketchy in general -- no
  top-down structure etc)

    I was wondering if egcs distributoins are going to
  have the latest available SGI STL? This would be very
  convenient assuming testing will be done in advance.

    I see many posts about STL on the egcs list, but no
  clear indication if, say, SGI STL 3.11 works with egcs-1.1.1
  on Solaris2.6, Linux2 or Windows NT4.0

    The link to egcs-testrsults archives points nowhere,
  but even if this is fixed, I'd prefer a simple compatibility
  table accessible from  http://egcs.cygnus.com

 thanks,

--
								Igor
  P.S. Please cc: imarkov@ucla.edu

* Re: STL[quick questions]
@ 1998-12-04 18:48 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-12-04 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Markov; +Cc: egcs

>     I was wondering if egcs distributoins are going to
>   have the latest available SGI STL? This would be very
>   convenient assuming testing will be done in advance.

Last time we discussed this, we said we'd switch STL versions for 1.2.

>     I see many posts about STL on the egcs list, but no
>   clear indication if, say, SGI STL 3.11 works with egcs-1.1.1
>   on Solaris2.6, Linux2 or Windows NT4.0

As far as I know, it works, but you need to make sure you don't
wind up mixing headers from the two versions.  The reason for not
switching for 1.1 was bad timing, and 1.1.1 was supposed to be
binary compatible so we didn't switch.

* Re: STL[quick questions]
@ 1998-12-04 19:02   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-12-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Markov; +Cc: Joe Buck, egcs

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Joe Buck wrote:
>> I was wondering if egcs distributoins are going to
>> have the latest available SGI STL? This would be very
>> convenient assuming testing will be done in advance.
> Last time we discussed this, we said we'd switch STL versions for 1.2.

The mainline (and thus all recent snapshots) have been using SGI STL
3.11 for three months now without major problems, as far as I can tell.

1998-09-02  Jason Merrill  <jason@yorick.cygnus.com>

        * algorithm alloc.h defalloc.h hash_map.h hash_set.h iterator
        memory pthread_alloc pthread_alloc.h rope ropeimpl.h stl_algo.h
        stl_algobase.h stl_alloc.h stl_bvector.h stl_config.h
        stl_construct.h stl_deque.h stl_function.h stl_hash_fun.h
        stl_hash_map.h stl_hash_set.h stl_hashtable.h stl_heap.h
        stl_iterator.h stl_list.h stl_map.h stl_multimap.h stl_multiset.h
        stl_numeric.h stl_pair.h stl_queue.h stl_raw_storage_iter.h
        stl_relops.h stl_rope.h stl_set.h stl_slist.h stl_stack.h
        stl_tempbuf.h stl_tree.h stl_uninitialized.h stl_vector.h
        tempbuf.h type_traits.h: Update to SGI STL 3.11.

>> I see many posts about STL on the egcs list, but no
>> clear indication if, say, SGI STL 3.11 works with egcs-1.1.1
>> on Solaris2.6, Linux2 or Windows NT4.0
> As far as I know, it works, but you need to make sure you don't
> wind up mixing headers from the two versions.

Igor, if your really want to/have to use STL 3.11, using a current
snapshot should be reasonably stable on sparc-sun-solaris2.6 (I'm
using that for everyday work) and most probably also on Linux.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* Re: STL[quick questions]
@ 1998-12-30 11:18 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-12-30 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Markov; +Cc: egcs

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Igor Markov wrote:
> A couple of quick questions that I couldn't answer by reading egcs FAQ
> (it looks very sketchy in general -- no top-down structure etc)

This FAQ is maintained by volunteers. If you have any concrete suggestions
resp. patches I'll be happy to discuss these with you resp. install it.

Actually I have been working to improve the FAQ since I assumed web page
maintainership and I'm planing a complete restructuring, but again: The
best way to improve things is by contributing yourself (as a couple of
others have done recently).

> The link to egcs-testrsults archives points nowhere

Which link? On which page have you spotted that?

Provided sufficient information, I'll immediately fix that.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* FAQ maintenance (was: Re: STL[quick questions])
@ 1998-12-30 14:30   ` Rich Churcher
From: Rich Churcher @ 1998-12-30 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:18:10 +0100 (MET), you wrote:

>This FAQ is maintained by volunteers. If you have any concrete suggestions
>resp. patches I'll be happy to discuss these with you resp. install it.
>
>Actually I have been working to improve the FAQ since I assumed web page
>maintainership and I'm planing a complete restructuring, but again: The
>best way to improve things is by contributing yourself (as a couple of
>others have done recently).

Gerald, if it's any use to you at all I'm happy to contribute some
time towards maintaining and improving the FAQ.  I'm certainly not
knowledgeable to _write_ any of it, but converting what others write
to HTML and updating links etc - that I can do.  Let me know...

Cheers,

Rich Churcher
--
rich.c@es.co.nz
ICQ# 6443250

* Re: FAQ maintenance (was: Re: STL[quick questions])
@ 1998-12-30 16:44     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-12-30 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Churcher; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Rich Churcher wrote:
> Gerald, if it's any use to you at all I'm happy to contribute some
> time towards maintaining and improving the FAQ.

It *is*! :-)

> I'm certainly not knowledgeable to _write_ any of it, but converting
> what others write to HTML and updating links etc - that I can do.
> Let me know...

I suggest you start with http://egcs.cygnus.com/cvs.html .

First by reading it and checking out a CVS copy of the egcs web pages,
and possibly also by revamping this page a bit. (I believe it could use
a bit more structure and also the comment about the web pages in the last
paragraph is somewhat hidden.)

With regard to the FAQ, I thought about keeping it as one page, albeit
split into several sections: General (questions 1 to 4), Installation,
Platform Specific Issues and Miscelaneous, for example.

A patch (on egcs-patches@cygnus.com) in that direction would be great.

Gerald
--

@ 1998-12-30 17:58       ` Rich Churcher
From: Rich Churcher @ 1998-12-30 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 01:44:15 +0100 (MET), you wrote:
>It *is*! :-)

Oh, good :o)  I've been wondering how I could help out ever since I
started using egcs... I'm afraid I'm a hapless newbie (although
fortunately not to HTML), but I learn fast.

I'm assuming we want to follow the tradition of non-framed, generic
browser dependency, clear, simple hypertext structure?

>I suggest you start with http://egcs.cygnus.com/cvs.html .
>
>First by reading it and checking out a CVS copy of the egcs web pages,
>and possibly also by revamping this page a bit. (I believe it could use
>a bit more structure and also the comment about the web pages in the last
>paragraph is somewhat hidden.)

Yes, it needs a link at least to
http://egcs.cygnus.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/wwwdocs/?hideattic=1&sortbydate=0
or the like.

>With regard to the FAQ, I thought about keeping it as one page, albeit
>split into several sections: General (questions 1 to 4), Installation,
>Platform Specific Issues and Miscelaneous, for example.

Ok, I'll have a play :o)

Cheers,

Rich.
--

@ 1998-12-31  2:58         ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-12-31  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Churcher; +Cc: egcs

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Rich Churcher wrote:
> I'm assuming we want to follow the tradition of non-framed, generic
> browser dependency, clear, simple hypertext structure?

Absolutely, yes.

Gerald

PS: Feel free to use private e-mail if you have any questions regarding
    the web, which you don't want to send to the list.
--

@ 1998-12-31  5:17         ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1998-12-31  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rich.c; +Cc: egcs

> >With regard to the FAQ, I thought about keeping it as one page, albeit
> >split into several sections: General (questions 1 to 4), Installation,
> >Platform Specific Issues and Miscelaneous, for example.

Maybe g++ specific things could also be collected together. Plain bugs
can go into c++bugs.html.

Regards,
Martin