* Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-29 22:15 Catherine Fong
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Catherine Fong @ 1999-01-29 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs, egcs-bugs

Is ARC one of the targets that EGCS supports?
I tried to build and configure as

../../../egcs/egcs-1.1.1/configure
--with-gcc-version-trigger=/home/catherine/egcs/egcs-1.1.1/gcc/version.c
--host=sparc-sun-solaris2.6 --target=arc-elf -v
--srcdir=../../../egcs/egcs-1.1.1 --norecursion

and got problem when cc1 is being built.

gcc -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC  -DSVR4  -g  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -o cc1
c-parse.o c-lang.o c-lex.o c-pragma.o c-decl.o c-typeck.o c-convert.o
c-aux-info.o c-common.o c-iterate.o  toplev.o version.o tree.o
print-tree.o stor-layout.o fold-const.o function.o stmt.o except.o
expr.o calls.o expmed.o explow.o optabs.o varasm.o rtl.o print-rtl.o
rtlanal.o emit-rtl.o genrtl.o real.o regmove.o dbxout.o sdbout.o
dwarfout.o dwarf2out.o xcoffout.o bitmap.o alias.o integrate.o jump.o
cse.o loop.o unroll.o flow.o stupid.o combine.o varray.o regclass.o
local-alloc.o global.o reload.o reload1.o caller-save.o gcse.o
insn-peep.o reorg.o sched.o final.o recog.o reg-stack.o insn-opinit.o
insn-recog.o insn-extract.o insn-output.o insn-emit.o profile.o
insn-attrtab.o arc.o getpwd.o  convert.o dyn-string.o obstack.o
alloca.o
explow.o: In function `allocate_dynamic_stack_space':
/home/raymond/gnu/build/gcc-egcs/gcc/../../../../egcs/egcs-1.1.1/gcc/explow.c:1189:
undefined reference to `arith_operand'
make[1]: *** [cc1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/raymond/gnu/build/gcc-egcs/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

* Re: Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-29 22:41 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 1999-01-29 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catherine Fong; +Cc: egcs, egcs-bugs

In message < 19990130061545.11417.rocketmail@send501.yahoomail.com > Catherine Fong writes:
: Is ARC one of the targets that EGCS supports?

ARC == Advanced Risc Computing.  The arc target is likely the
mipsel-unknown-openbsd target, which for a while was known as
arc-unknown-openbsd.  I don't know how much of that support made it
into egcs.  I have been able to build a cross compiler/tools on
FreeBSD 3.0 for mipsel-unknown-openbsd2.3 from the OpenBSD.  I have
also build support for linux as well.

I'm curious about what you are doing with arc.  I have an old mips
based arc machine and there aren't too many people around that have
this hardware.

Warner

* Re: Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-29 23:55 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1999-01-29 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catherine Fong, egcs, egcs-bugs

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 10:15:45PM -0800, Catherine Fong wrote:
> Is ARC one of the targets that EGCS supports?

Technically.  It's not been used in a long time and has
a touch of bit rot.

> explow.o: In function `allocate_dynamic_stack_space':
> gcc/explow.c:1189: undefined reference to `arith_operand'

Change this reference to `register_operand'.

r~

* Re: Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-30  0:01   ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1999-01-30  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh, Catherine Fong; +Cc: egcs, egcs-bugs

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 11:41:59PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> ARC == Advanced Risc Computing.  The arc target is likely the
> mipsel-unknown-openbsd target ...

She configured ARC as in Argonaut ARC, which is not any kind of MIPS.

> ... which for a while was known as arc-unknown-openbsd.

Interesting.

r~

* Re: Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-30  0:40   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 1999-01-30  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: Catherine Fong, egcs, egcs-bugs

In message < 19990130000136.B29367@cygnus.com > Richard Henderson writes:
: She configured ARC as in Argonaut ARC, which is not any kind of MIPS.

I'd not heard of that before now...

: > ... which for a while was known as arc-unknown-openbsd.
: Interesting.

It was changed because it was wrong.  It may have been
mips-arc-openbsd, which would have been less wrong.  It has been a
long time and it wasn't that way for long.  All this was in the
OpenBSD tree.  I know not what bits of it made it back into gcc2 or
egcs, if any.

Warner

* Re: Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-30  4:32 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-30  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catherine Fong; +Cc: egcs, egcs-bugs

  In message < 19990130061545.11417.rocketmail@send501.yahoomail.com >you write:
  > Is ARC one of the targets that EGCS supports?
  > I tried to build and configure as
  > explow.o: In function `allocate_dynamic_stack_space':
  > /home/raymond/gnu/build/gcc-egcs/gcc/../../../../egcs/egcs-1.1.1/gcc/explow
  > .c:1189:
  > undefined reference to `arith_operand'
  > make[1]: *** [cc1] Error 1
  > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/raymond/gnu/build/gcc-egcs/gcc'
  > make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
Nobody's actively working on the arc, so it's probably suffering from bitrot.

The development sources already had this bug fixed.  I brought that fix over
to the egcs-1.1 release branch for the upcoming egcs-1.1.2 release.

jeff

* Re: Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-30  5:14     ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-01-30  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: imp; +Cc: egcs

In article < 199901300840.BAA75079@harmony.village.org > you write:
>It was changed because it was wrong.  It may have been
>mips-arc-openbsd, which would have been less wrong.  It has been a
>long time and it wasn't that way for long.  All this was in the
>OpenBSD tree.  I know not what bits of it made it back into gcc2 or
>egcs, if any.

*Everything* is going to make it back to egcs as soon as the FSF moves
its ass and processes my assignment papers.

Yo, oh ! anybody home ?

BTW, if you would try to compile /usr/ports/egcs-snapshots on the arc,
and report problems to me, that would help ensuring that a correct
configuration gets sent.

* Re: Does EGCS Support ARC
@ 1999-01-30  7:14       ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 1999-01-30  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc.Espie; +Cc: egcs

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:13:50 +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
>In article < 199901300840.BAA75079@harmony.village.org > you write:
>>It was changed because it was wrong.  It may have been
>>mips-arc-openbsd, which would have been less wrong.  It has been a
>>long time and it wasn't that way for long.  All this was in the
>>OpenBSD tree.  I know not what bits of it made it back into gcc2 or
>>egcs, if any.
>
>*Everything* is going to make it back to egcs as soon as the FSF moves
>its ass and processes my assignment papers.

They've been processed.

GCC     Marc Espie      France 1967     1999-01-07
Assigns past and future changes (OpenBSD configuration).
espie@cvs.openbsd.org

FSF isn't mailing copies back for some reason, but you're in.  I'm
still waiting for my paperwork to come back, six months later...

zw

* Don't wake up the FSF, they need the sleep...
@ 1999-01-30 11:15         ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-01-30 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

In article < 199901301514.KAA13274@blastula.phys.columbia.edu > Zack wrote:

>They've been processed.

>GCC     Marc Espie      France 1967     1999-01-07
>Assigns past and future changes (OpenBSD configuration).
>espie@cvs.openbsd.org
Cool.

>FSF isn't mailing copies back for some reason, but you're in.  I'm
>still waiting for my paperwork to come back, six months later...

This is insane.!! the FSF is the organization which is completely
paranoid about copyright assignments and the GPL. Do they want it
to work ?   They could *at least* try and perform the basic administrative
work correctly... Now, what's going to happen when I find a non-trivial
patch for binutils, or for libiberty ?  Or when I get a patch  from one
of my fellow openbsd developpers which is less than trivial.

I'll have to tell them:
'okay, you have to hunt thru the egcs pages for the copyright assignments,
fill it up, send it in, then wait for one month, and if you haven't heard
from them after that period, start bitching on the egcs mailing-list,
where someone's going to tell you:

Oops, sorry. We processed your papers, but we forgot to tell you about it.'

*How* do you think this reflects on the image of the FSF ?

[include loads of smileys... I'm only half-serious there...]

* Re: Don't wake up the FSF, they need the sleep...
@ 1999-01-30 11:22           ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-30 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc.Espie; +Cc: egcs

  > This is insane.!! the FSF is the organization which is completely
  > paranoid about copyright assignments and the GPL. Do they want it
  > to work ?   They could *at least* try and perform the basic administrative
  > work correctly... Now, what's going to happen when I find a non-trivial
  > patch for binutils, or for libiberty ?  Or when I get a patch  from one
  > of my fellow openbsd developpers which is less than trivial.
egcs isn't the place to complain about this.  We have zero control over how
the FSF processes paperwork.

Complain to assignments@gnu.org and rms@gnu.org.

jeff

* Re: Don't wake up the FSF, they need the sleep...
@ 1999-01-30 11:29             ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 1999-01-30 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:18:47 -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:

>  > This is insane.!! the FSF is the organization which is completely
>  > paranoid about copyright assignments and the GPL. Do they want it
>  > to work ?   They could *at least* try and perform the basic administrative
>  > work correctly... Now, what's going to happen when I find a non-trivial
>  > patch for binutils, or for libiberty ?  Or when I get a patch  from one
>  > of my fellow openbsd developpers which is less than trivial.
>egcs isn't the place to complain about this.  We have zero control over how
>the FSF processes paperwork.
>
>Complain to assignments@gnu.org and rms@gnu.org.

Also, you can ask assignments@gnu.org or gnu@gnu.org to check if your
paperwork has been processed, this should be more reliable than
bitching about it on egcs and hoping someone with an FSF account sees
the message.

@ 1999-01-31 23:58           ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

In article <199901301514.KAA13274@blastula.phys.columbia.edu> Zack wrote:

>They've been processed.

>GCC     Marc Espie      France 1967     1999-01-07
>Assigns past and future changes (OpenBSD configuration).
>espie@cvs.openbsd.org
Cool.

@ 1999-01-31 23:58             ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-01-31 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)