* egcs 1.1.1 on IRIX 6.5 - mips3 and R8k/R10k systems
@ 1999-02-04 11:00 Kenneth Lareau
       [not found] ` < 199902041900.OAA04221@minddrive.numenor.org >
From: Kenneth Lareau @ 1999-02-04 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

After several unsuccessful attempts with configure, and a lot of reading,
I have been unable to compile egcs 1.1.1 on an R8k/R10k based SGI system
running IRIX 6.5 to create executables and libraries compiled with the
mips3 libraries to enable the ability to use them on the R4k/R5k based
SGI system (by default it uses the mips4 libraries).

Is it possible to do this with a properly setup configure line?  Or is
this something that is unachievable, except possibly through a cross-
compile procedure?  The inability to make this work is hampering other
efforts and tasks I need to complete, so any suggestions would be great-
ly appreciated.

Ken Lareau
elessar@numenor.org

* Re: egcs 1.1.1 on IRIX 6.5 - mips3 and R8k/R10k systems
       [not found] ` < 199902041900.OAA04221@minddrive.numenor.org >
@ 1999-02-04 22:50   ` Jeffrey A Law
       [not found]     ` < 30935.918187658@upchuck >
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-02-04 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Lareau; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199902041900.OAA04221@minddrive.numenor.org >you write:
  > After several unsuccessful attempts with configure, and a lot of reading,
  > I have been unable to compile egcs 1.1.1 on an R8k/R10k based SGI system
  > running IRIX 6.5 to create executables and libraries compiled with the
  > mips3 libraries to enable the ability to use them on the R4k/R5k based
  > SGI system (by default it uses the mips4 libraries).
  >
  > Is it possible to do this with a properly setup configure line?  Or is
  > this something that is unachievable, except possibly through a cross-
  > compile procedure?  The inability to make this work is hampering other
  > efforts and tasks I need to complete, so any suggestions would be great-
  > ly appreciated.
It's hard to suggest anything to you since you don't give any
specifics about your problems.

I did a bootstrap on irix6.5 just a few days ago.
jeff

@ 1999-02-05 14:47       ` Kenneth Lareau
From: Kenneth Lareau @ 1999-02-05 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

In message < 30935.918187658@upchuck >, Jeffrey A Law writes:

>  In message < 199902041900.OAA04221@minddrive.numenor.org >you write:
>  > After several unsuccessful attempts with configure, and a lot of reading,
>  > I have been unable to compile egcs 1.1.1 on an R8k/R10k based SGI system
>  > running IRIX 6.5 to create executables and libraries compiled with the
>  > mips3 libraries to enable the ability to use them on the R4k/R5k based
>  > SGI system (by default it uses the mips4 libraries).
>  >
>  > Is it possible to do this with a properly setup configure line?  Or is
>  > this something that is unachievable, except possibly through a cross-
>  > compile procedure?  The inability to make this work is hampering other
>  > efforts and tasks I need to complete, so any suggestions would be great-
>  > ly appreciated.
>It's hard to suggest anything to you since you don't give any
>specifics about your problems.

Okay, here's a bit more detail:

If I'm on a R8k/R10k based SGI system, and use the following configure
line:

  CC=cc ../configure --enable-shared --enable-haifa --with-stabs \
  --enable-threads --prefix=/common/software_y2k/egcs-1.1.1/sgi/6.5

and then run 'make bootstrap', when I do a 'file' command on the various
executables, I get the following:

  gcc: ELF N32 MSB mips-4 dynamic executable MIPS - version 1

This is bad, because older SGIs, like the Indy, can't use these exe-
cutables; they need the mips3 libraries.

So I added "CFLAGS='-mips3'" to the above configure line, which runs
fine.  During the run of the "make bootstrap", however, the very first
build of C binaries does _not_ include the '-mips3' option.  I used
the following make line:

  make CFLAGS='-O2 -mips3' LIBCFLAGS='-g -O2 -mips3' LIBCXXFLAGS=\
  '-g -O2 -mips3 -fno-implicit-templates' bootstrap

I edited the CFLAGS line in gcc/Makefile to show '-g -mips3', and
starting the build again, everything looks fine, until it gets to the
building of the libraries, then I get the following:

  ./xgcc -B./ -O2   -DIN_GCC    -g -mips3 -I./include   -g1  -DIN_LIBGCC2
-D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED    -I. -I../../gcc -I../../gcc/config -c -DL${name} \
      ../../gcc/libgcc2.c -o ${name}.o; \
  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi; \
  ar rc tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_muldi3
In file included from ../../gcc/config/mips/xm-iris6.h:16,
                 from tconfig.h:1,
                 from ../../gcc/libgcc2.c:33:
/usr/include/string.h:67: warning: conflicting types for built-in function
`memcpy'
/usr/include/string.h:74: warning: conflicting types for built-in function
`memcmp'
/usr/include/string.h:95: warning: conflicting types for built-in function
`memset'
/usr/include/string.h:97: warning: conflicting types for built-in function
`strlen'

This occurs for every entry in the preceding for loop (for name in _muldi3
_divdi3 _moddi3 _udivdi3 _umoddi3 ...), though it doesn't occur the second
time around when the '-mabi=64' option is used.

Finally, it starts the 2nd stage of the build, giving the above string.h
conflict messages until finally:

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/  -DIN_GCC    -O2 -O2 -mips3  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAIFA  -o
gencheck \
 gencheck.o ` case "obstack.o" in ?*) echo obstack.o ;; esac ` ` case "" in
?*) echo  ;; esac ` ` case "" in ?*) echo  ;; esac ` ` case "" in ?*) echo  ;;
esac ` ` case "" in ?*) echo  ;; esac `
./gencheck > tmp-check.h
make[2]: *** [s-check] Bus error (core dumped)

I don't know if this is enough information, but up to this point I have
been unable to get it to build mips-3 binaries and libraries.

@ 1999-02-28 22:53         ` Kenneth Lareau
From: Kenneth Lareau @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs

From: Kenneth Lareau @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

@ 1999-02-28 22:53     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Lareau; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-02-28 22:53 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elessar, law; +Cc: egcs

elessar@numenor.org writes:

<< I added "CFLAGS='-mips3'" >>
CFLAGS is used only for building libraries which don't use CXXFLAGS.  During a
bootstrap, everything in the gcc directory is built with BOOT_CFLAGS.  But, I
suspect you may need to tinker with setting the CC environment variable to
something including -mips3.

From: Kenneth Lareau @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM; +Cc: egcs

In message < e472f205.36bba6ae@aol.com >, N8TM@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 2/5/99 3:44:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>elessar@numenor.org writes:
>
><< I added "CFLAGS='-mips3'" >>
>Can you try to build as if on Irix5.x, using gnu-as etc, with all relevant
>flags set accordingly?

Considering that IRIX 6.x does not have support in GNU's binutils package,
I don't believe this would be possible.

       [not found] ` < e472f205.36bba6ae@aol.com >
@ 1999-02-28 22:53 ` N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1999-02-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)