* Failure to compile egcs-1.1.2
@ 1999-03-19  4:47 BASS David
       [not found] ` < 199903191245.NAA08072@acrux.mis.eurocontrol.be >
From: BASS David @ 1999-03-19  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

I downloaded the release version (1.1.2) "core" package and
had the following problem.

config.guess = powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.5.0

Using bash:

(from a separate build directory)

../egcs-1.1.2/configure --prefix=~user/local

CC=cc;export CC

(cc is in /usr/bin/cc)

After make bootstrap-lean and some time it gets as far as

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -DIN_GCC -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAIFA -Wl,-bbigtoc - o
cccp cccp.o <etc>

I get an error from my binutils 2.9.1 copy of gnu ld saying "invalid BFD
target 'bigtoc'"

Which is odd because

a. I removed the location of gnu ld from my path (which ld gives
/usr/bin/ld)
   (it is however in ~user/local/bin/ld)

b. I get the same error if I specify --with-gnu-ld

I have previously installed 1.1.1 without problems.

I suspect I can work around this by moving/removing gnu ld,
but should egcs be using gnu ld when it's supposed to
find the ibm one first?

David

* RE: Failure to compile egcs-1.1.2
@ 1999-03-19  9:23 BASS David
From: BASS David @ 1999-03-19  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

Sorry, I thought I'd made it clear that the same thing happened
both with and without ~user/local/bin in my path.

The odd bit to me was that the make bootstrap-lean was picking
up gnu-ld from ~user/local/bin even when I'd deliberately removed
that from the path, which I checked as "which ld" gave /usr/bin/ld,
the AIX linker.

Thanks for the fast response - the fix appears to be to delete
binutils as it is not helpful.

David

@ 1999-03-19 11:20 BASS David
From: BASS David @ 1999-03-19 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: 'egcs@egcs.cygnus.com'

Removing binutils appears to have solved this problem.

it also seems that the with-gnu-<blah> was a red herring -
I misunderstood what the options were for.

Thanks again,

David