* Re: patch to fix i386 FreeBSD and NetBSD TARGET_DEFAULT
       [not found]   ` <19990322012913.A1330@cygnus.com>
@ 1999-03-22  8:16     ` espie
       [not found]       ` < 19990322161606.32691.qmail@quatramaran.ens.fr >
From: espie @ 1999-03-22  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: egcs-patches, egcs

In article <19990322012913.A1330@cygnus.com> you write:
[about TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT and TARGET_DEFAULT for x86]

>What John is rightly saying is that someone typo'd in this
>particular instance.

when I sit down and wrote the openbsd port, I looked at TARGET_DEFAULT,
TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT, and put the current solution in
(a target_cpu_default="MASK_NO_FANCY_MATH_387").

Are you saying that I should reconsider and override TARGET_DEFAULT instead ?
What I did looked like a fairly good decision at the time... I followed the
same rationale that Jeff outlined basically.

If there are further issues involved in TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT vs. TARGET_DEFAULT,
I'd like to be aware of these. As far as I know, there is not even any written
documentation of TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT currently... maybe this should change ?

@ 1999-03-22 23:48         ` Jeffrey A Law
       [not found]           ` < 3998.922174570@upchuck >
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-03-22 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: espie; +Cc: rth, egcs-patches, egcs

  In message < 19990322161606.32691.qmail@quatramaran.ens.fr >you write:
  > when I sit down and wrote the openbsd port, I looked at TARGET_DEFAULT,
  > TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT, and put the current solution in
  > (a target_cpu_default="MASK_NO_FANCY_MATH_387").
  >
  > Are you saying that I should reconsider and override TARGET_DEFAULT instead >  ?
  > What I did looked like a fairly good decision at the time... I followed the
  > same rationale that Jeff outlined basically.
Yea.  It looks like the x86 port's handling of TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT is
broken.  As a result the configure.in change isn't doing what we
want.

Anyway, I installed the FreeBSD & NetBSD changes from John.  I also
installed a suitable fix for OpenBSD.

jeff

@ 1999-03-23  8:33             ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-03-23  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: espie, rth, egcs-patches, egcs

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 12:36:10AM -0700, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> Yea.  It looks like the x86 port's handling of TARGET_CPU_DEFAULT is
> broken.  As a result the configure.in change isn't doing what we
> want.

> Anyway, I installed the FreeBSD & NetBSD changes from John.  I also
> installed a suitable fix for OpenBSD.

Any reason you are using 0701 insted of
(MASK_80387 | MASK_IEEE_FP | MASK_FLOAT_RETURNS | MASK_NO_FANCY_MATH_387) ?

--
	Marc Espie

@ 1999-03-31 23:46       ` espie
From: espie @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: egcs-patches, egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46           ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: espie; +Cc: rth, egcs-patches, egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46               ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: espie, rth, egcs-patches, egcs

       [not found] ` < 199903231932.OAA08746@jwlab.FEITH.COM >
@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` John Wehle
From: John Wehle @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc.Espie; +Cc: law, rth, egcs-patches, egcs

>> Anyway, I installed the FreeBSD & NetBSD changes from John.  I also
>> installed a suitable fix for OpenBSD.
>
> Any reason you are using 0701 insted of
> (MASK_80387 | MASK_IEEE_FP | MASK_FLOAT_RETURNS | MASK_NO_FANCY_MATH_387) ?

He was probably just following my original patch which was created before
Richard updated the files to define TARGET_DEFAULT symbolicly.

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |

* Re: patch to fix i386 FreeBSD and NetBSD TARGET_DEFAULT
@ 1999-03-31 23:46     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wehle; +Cc: Marc.Espie, rth, egcs-patches, egcs

  In message < 199903231932.OAA08746@jwlab.FEITH.COM >you write:
  > >> Anyway, I installed the FreeBSD & NetBSD changes from John.  I also
  > >> installed a suitable fix for OpenBSD.
  > >
  > > Any reason you are using 0701 insted of
  > > (MASK_80387 | MASK_IEEE_FP | MASK_FLOAT_RETURNS | MASK_NO_FANCY_MATH_387)
  >  ?
  >
  > He was probably just following my original patch which was created before
  > Richard updated the files to define TARGET_DEFAULT symbolicly.
Precisely.  I wasn't aware that we had switched to the symbolic form
on the x86 port.  I'll take care of it.

Thanks,
jeff

@ 1999-03-23 17:26   ` Jeffrey A Law