From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
To: edwin@netwood.net
Cc: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Named Return Value Extension Proposal
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

    E> Gaby, You and I will both grow very old and die before this
    E> compiler catches up with the standard.

Lots of us are working hard to see that we do indeed reach compliance.

    E> It appears from the reply by Jason Merrill <jason@cygnus.com>
    E> to the "elided copy constructors" thread that it will be a very
    E> long time before the changes can be made to implement the
    E> optimizations permitted by the standard.

That may or may not be true.  Jason said that it is not easy, and that
is true.

On the other hand, neither are member templates, global common
sub-expression elimination, or a new standard library.  The first two
projects are complete, to a reasonably strict definition of complete,
while the third is well underway.

    E>   I am simply proposing a stop gap to carry us through until it
    E> is possible to implement the optimizations.

We have too many such stop-gaps already in g++.  We really don't want
to add additional language extensions at this point, IMO.