ôÅÒÅÈÉÎ ÷ÑÞÅÓÌÁ× wrote: > After several day of search I finally find out offending > instruction that slow down gzip compiled with egcs-1.1.1/pgcc-1.1.1 > on PentiumPro 180MHz (132MB RAM) but the result seems crazy to me. > > This instruction is: > andl $255, %eax > in flush_window (util.c) function body (it is inlined from updcrc) > > if you manually replace it with > movzbl %al, $eax > this will boost decompression by 20%. In the past I have written hand-optimised assembly language, tuned for the different x86 families, and I found movzbl to be a very effective instruction on the Pentium Pro. So what you describe sounds correct. Another is to do xorl %eax,%eax just before loading something into %al. That is fast on the PPro too. -- Jamie