From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
To: kthomas@gwdg.de
Cc: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: C++: STL 3.2
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

    Philipp> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:04:22 -0700, you wrote:

    >> We worked very hard to make these "sloppy" so that the kinds of
    >> differences people don't care about didn't get flagged, unless
    >> you were in a "pedantic" mode.  Fun stuff, would be nice to
    >> have in GCC someday.

    Philipp> I agree that this sounds fun, but this task would be up
    Philipp> to the binutils folks, no ?

Not entirely.  You need cooperation both from the compiler and the
linker.  (In our implementation, a separate prelinker was run, so we
only needed help from the compiler.  In fact, we didn't even need that;
we just put stuff directly in the object-file after the compiler ran.)
But, in GNU-land, it would make sense to have the compiler insert the
ODR records and have the linker check them.

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
To: kthomas@gwdg.de
Cc: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:15:00 -0000	[thread overview]