* Re: why does g77 build?
@ 1999-04-17 13:59 Alexader V. Voinov
From: Alexader V. Voinov @ 1999-04-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17 Apr 1999 craig@jcb-sc.com wrote:
>
> > >When I returned to my screen I noticed that g77 was being built.
> > >I didn't want to build g77.  The only compilers I want are the
> > >C and C++ ones.
> >
> > Use the LANGUAGES macro instead.  I hope we fix, if we haven't
> > already, --enable-languages for egcs 1.2, though....
>
> Tee-hee. Another one bitten by this (I got bit by this one 2 days
ago!).
> Yes, please do fix it for 1.2 so we can just enable the bits we want.
> think this system of doing things like this is MUCH more convienent
and
> easier to memorize.

Please fix also unnecessary build of 'libf2c' when no 'f77' in
LANGUAGES is specified. I caught it when built a crosscompiler for
i386-*-vxworks target.
(The problem was that for libf2c 'configure' failed at some point, but
that's another story...)

Alexander

* why does g77 build?
@ 1999-04-16 17:19 patrick
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: patrick @ 1999-04-16 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs list

Hello,

I downloaded egcs 1.1.2 today to upgrade my work (and later my home) system:

Linux drvi 2.0.34 #2 Fri Sep 25 11:01:49 PDT 1998 i586 unknown

drvi:/usr/local/src/egcs-112-objdir% gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1/egcs-2.90.29/specs
gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)

I followed the direction on  egcs.cygnus.com/install/configure.html

The build went fine.  No errors that were apparent to me (not that
stared at my screen the entire time the build was happening -- I
took off for lunch after a while).

When I returned to my screen I noticed that g77 was being built.
I didn't want to build g77.  The only compilers I want are the
C and C++ ones.

The Configure instructions mention that the option

   --enable-languages=lang1,lang2,...,langn

could be used to only build a subset of available compilers.  It
mentions that currently the only available choices are:

   CHILL, c++, f77, java and objc.

and to get a list of valid values of langx to `cd gcc` and:

   grep language= */config-lang.in

this gives me the following:

gcc/cp/config-lang.in:language="c++"
gcc/f/config-lang.in:language="f77"
gcc/objc/config-lang.in:language="objc"

I noticed that 'java' was not available while the instructions
seem to indicate that it is.  So i included it in my --enable-languages=
option to configure just to see what will happen.

The following is a paste of my config.status file which shows this
option:

-- config.status begin
#!/bin/sh
# This file was generated automatically by configure.  Do not edit.
# This directory was configured as follows:
../egcs-1.1.2/configure --with-gcc-version-trigger=/usr/local/src/egcs-1.1.2/gcc
/version.c --host=i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 --enable-shared --enable-languages=c++,
java --enable-threads --enable-threads=posix --norecursion
# using "mh-frag" and "mt-frag"
-- config.status end

I looked through the egcs and egcs-bugs archives on the site to see
if there is an answer why the g77 would be built but I was unable to
find anything by scrolling through the list of subjects (even read
a few posts that seem to have potential).

Am I doing something wrong?  How can I prevent the g77 from being built.
I have no need for it.  And although I currently have no  need for java
compiler ... I'm curious to find out if it is available and how to get
it to build (obviously the src is not included in the egcs-1.1.2.tar.gz).

Since i am in the asking mode one last question.  I have LinuxThreads 0.6
installed on my Linux boxes.  Is this threads package considered a valid
candidate for --enable-threads option?

I'd appreciate either info or directions to documentation regarding these
concerns.

Thanks in advance for any help offered,

         patrick@boxsoft.com
         sidster@drink.com

ps. Not including the 'java' option to --enable-languages= list produces
    the same result (ie. builds the g77 compiler).