* mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-03-29  7:47 Cyril Fischer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Cyril Fischer @ 1999-03-29  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Hi, I am not able to successfully compile egcs-1.1.2 on sgi indy (R4000
cpu).  The compilation stops when assembling the libstdc++.so for
-mabi=64. (due to the non-existent  64 bit library libm.so) As we have
32-bit cpu, we do not use 64 bit mode. How can I prevent the -mabi=64
step of the build procedure? I would like to avoid the manual editing of
makefiles.

Thanks,
Cyril

* Re: mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-03-29 10:15 ` Lee Iverson
From: Lee Iverson @ 1999-03-29 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Fischer; +Cc: egcs

In message < 36FF67D8.7ED63C35@itam.cas.cz > you write:
> Hi, I am not able to successfully compile egcs-1.1.2 on sgi indy (R4000
> cpu).  The compilation stops when assembling the libstdc++.so for
> -mabi=64. (due to the non-existent  64 bit library libm.so) As we have
> 32-bit cpu, we do not use 64 bit mode. How can I prevent the -mabi=64
> step of the build procedure? I would like to avoid the manual editing of
> makefiles.

Add the flag --disable-multilib to the initial ./configure

Lee Iverson     		SRI International
leei@ai.sri.com			333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park CA 94025
http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/	(650) 859-3307

* mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-03-31 23:46 ` Cyril Fischer
From: Cyril Fischer @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

@ 1999-03-31 23:46   ` Lee Iverson
From: Lee Iverson @ 1999-03-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Fischer; +Cc: egcs

@ 1999-04-09  0:54 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-04-09  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Fischer; +Cc: egcs

  In message <36FF67D8.7ED63C35@itam.cas.cz>you write:
  > Hi, I am not able to successfully compile egcs-1.1.2 on sgi indy (R4000
  > cpu).  The compilation stops when assembling the libstdc++.so for
  > -mabi=64. (due to the non-existent  64 bit library libm.so) As we have
  > 32-bit cpu, we do not use 64 bit mode. How can I prevent the -mabi=64
  > step of the build procedure? I would like to avoid the manual editing of
  > makefiles.
I believe you can use "--disable-multilib" at configure time to prevent the
building of all the various libraries for the different MIPS ABIs.

jeff

* Re: mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-04-09 12:58   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-04-09 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Cyril Fischer, egcs

On Apr  9, 1999, Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com> wrote:

>   In message <36FF67D8.7ED63C35@itam.cas.cz>you write:
>> Hi, I am not able to successfully compile egcs-1.1.2 on sgi indy (R4000
>> cpu).  The compilation stops when assembling the libstdc++.so for
>> -mabi=64. (due to the non-existent  64 bit library libm.so) As we have
>> 32-bit cpu, we do not use 64 bit mode. How can I prevent the -mabi=64
>> step of the build procedure? I would like to avoid the manual editing of
>> makefiles.
> I believe you can use "--disable-multilib" at configure time to prevent the
> building of all the various libraries for the different MIPS ABIs.

It seems that I'm not the only one affected by the lack of 64bit
libraries.  Would anyone dislike a patch that would test whether
/usr/lib64/libc.so exists, and disable multilibs on IRIX6 if it does
not?

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Brasil
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}

* Re: mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-04-09 20:31     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-04-09 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: Cyril Fischer, egcs

  In message < orbtgxwoyu.fsf@dcc.unicamp.br >you write:
  > On Apr  9, 1999, Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com> wrote:
  >
  > >   In message <36FF67D8.7ED63C35@itam.cas.cz>you write:
  > >> Hi, I am not able to successfully compile egcs-1.1.2 on sgi indy (R4000
  > >> cpu).  The compilation stops when assembling the libstdc++.so for
  > >> -mabi=64. (due to the non-existent  64 bit library libm.so) As we have
  > >> 32-bit cpu, we do not use 64 bit mode. How can I prevent the -mabi=64
  > >> step of the build procedure? I would like to avoid the manual editing of
  > >> makefiles.
  > > I believe you can use "--disable-multilib" at configure time to prevent t
  > he
  > > building of all the various libraries for the different MIPS ABIs.
  >
  > It seems that I'm not the only one affected by the lack of 64bit
  > libraries.  Would anyone dislike a patch that would test whether
  > /usr/lib64/libc.so exists, and disable multilibs on IRIX6 if it does
  > not?
Or if we could just disable the 64bit libraries in that case.  But that's
quite a bit more difficult :-)

jeff

* [conditional multilib patch] Re: mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-04-10  6:38       ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-04-10  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: egcs-patches

On Apr 10, 1999, Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com> wrote:

>   In message < orbtgxwoyu.fsf@dcc.unicamp.br >you write:
>> On Apr  9, 1999, Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com> wrote:

>> It seems that I'm not the only one affected by the lack of 64bit
>> libraries.  Would anyone dislike a patch that would test whether
>> /usr/lib64/libc.so exists, and disable multilibs on IRIX6 if it does
>> not?

> Or if we could just disable the 64bit libraries in that case.  But that's
> quite a bit more difficult :-)

Not really.  Disabling multilib support within gcc would be quite
hard, but just testing whether a program can be linked with -mabi=64
is trivial, and we can thus avoid trying to create shared libraries
for this ABI.  We could still create static ones, though, but they
wouldn't be of much use, so I'm inclined not to do it.  How about the
attached patch?

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Brasil
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}
oliva@{gnu.org,kaffe.org,{egcs,sourceware}.cygnus.com,samba.org}

* Re: [conditional multilib patch] Re: mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-04-11 23:01         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-04-11 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: Cyril Fischer, egcs, egcs-patches

  In message < orbtgwy5cj.fsf@dcc.unicamp.br >you write:
  > Not really.  Disabling multilib support within gcc would be quite
  > hard,
That's what I was talking about.

  > but just testing whether a program can be linked with -mabi=64
  > is trivial,
Yup.

  > and we can thus avoid trying to create shared libraries
  > for this ABI.
I hadn't considered your approach of wacking up config-ml.in.  It's actually
not a bad way to attack this problem.

  > We could still create static ones, though, but they
  > wouldn't be of much use, so I'm inclined not to do it.  How about the
  > attached patch?
Agreed.  And installed.

Thanks
jeff

* Re: [conditional multilib patch] Re: mips-sgi-irix6.5 installation
@ 1999-04-30 23:15           ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1999-04-30 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: Cyril Fischer, egcs, egcs-patches

  In message < orbtgwy5cj.fsf@dcc.unicamp.br >you write:
  > Not really.  Disabling multilib support within gcc would be quite
  > hard,
That's what I was talking about.

  > but just testing whether a program can be linked with -mabi=64
  > is trivial,
Yup.

  > and we can thus avoid trying to create shared libraries
  > for this ABI.
I hadn't considered your approach of wacking up config-ml.in.  It's actually
not a bad way to attack this problem.

  > We could still create static ones, though, but they
  > wouldn't be of much use, so I'm inclined not to do it.  How about the
  > attached patch?
Agreed.  And installed.

Thanks
jeff