* Cross compilation of unneccesary libraries
@ 1999-05-21 18:34 Michael Hayes
From: Michael Hayes @ 1999-05-21 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Can anyone tell me what is the philosophy of building libchill,
libf2c, et al, when doing a make cross or a make "LANGUAGES=c c++",
especially when a fortran cross compiler won't work?

Michael.

* Re: Cross compilation of unneccesary libraries
@ 1999-05-23 22:32 ` craig
From: craig @ 1999-05-23 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m.hayes; +Cc: craig

>Can anyone tell me what is the philosophy of building libchill,
>libf2c, et al, when doing a make cross or a make "LANGUAGES=c c++",
>especially when a fortran cross compiler won't work?

I can't, except to note that, for now, while it is known that g77
has more problems dealing with a cross-compiler configuration than
at least some, if not all, other gcc front ends, we've pretty much
decided to fix that for gcc 3.0.

Until the g77 front end (where the problems are) is believed to be
fixed in this regard, I probably won't, myself, worry about library-
building philosophies.  Cygnus, I think, came up with the current
architecture (libraries in their own egcs/ subdirs rather than in
subdirectories of language front ends in egcs/gcc/), and they probably
do more diverse cross-compiler-building stuff than anyone, so, for now,
I'll assume they got it reasonably right.

        tq vm, (burley)

* Re: Cross compilation of unneccesary libraries
@ 1999-05-31 21:36   ` craig
From: craig @ 1999-05-31 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m.hayes; +Cc: craig

@ 1999-05-31 21:36 ` Michael Hayes