* STL string::reserve(size_t)
@ 1999-05-11 11:18 ecmorgan
From: ecmorgan @ 1999-05-11 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'm currently using egcs 1.1.2 on sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1
I noticed that for the egcs STL library for basic_string, the function
basic_string::reserve is empty.

     void reserve (size_type) { }

When I tried to use resize(size_type), both the reserve and the length changes.
In other words, if I have the
following lines:

     string rtn;
     rtn.resize(124);
     rtn+="abc";

When I call resize(124), my reserve size is 128 and the length is 124.  When I
append "abc" to rtn,
the length is 127 and the string rtn has 124 nulls in front of abc.

What I'd like to do is reserve a chunk of data for string since I know ahead of
time approximately how
big it's going to be.  How do you do it?

* Re: STL string::reserve(size_t)
@ 1999-05-17  1:14 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-05-17  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecmorgan; +Cc: egcs

On May 11, 1999, ecmorgan@lucent.com wrote:

> What I'd like to do is reserve a chunk of data for string since I
> know ahead of time approximately how big it's going to be.  How do
> you do it?

reserve is the way to go, but, according to you, it's not implemented
yet :-(

You may want to help the libstdc++-v3 folks, if this is not
implemented there already.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}