From: Joe Buck <jbuck@Synopsys.COM>
To: lind0753@umn.edu (Stephen Lindholm)
Cc: egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: Peculiar functionality
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 21:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> 1)  The new operators "or" "and" "not" (etc), described on Stroustrup C++PL
> 3rd ed. p. 829 appear to not exist in egcs, or to be turned off by default.
> (It's my feeling that if they are turned off by default, they should be
> turned on, since it is perfectly legitimate to use them in C++ code.)

These are enabled by the flag -foperator-names, or -ansi.  The reason for
not making them the default is that too much old C++ code breaks.

> 2)  egcs complains when I use arrays of references.  If this is bad style,
> please explain why.

Because they aren't C++?

> 3)  I can't make class-local constants!  I must be doing this wrong, since I
> can't imagine why this would not be present:

Your syntax is wrong.

> class   TAnneal {
>         // How many iterations to run for
>         const int    Iterations = 50;
>
> anneal.cpp:16: warning: ANSI C++ forbids initialization of const member
> `Iterations'
> anneal.cpp:16: warning: making `Iterations' static

Try
	static const int Iterations = 50;

You can initialize const static members this way, but not const fields
that belong to every object of type TAnneal (those have to be initialized
in the constructor).