* DG/UX Port - Giving Up!!
@ 1999-05-10  7:51 Eric Raskin
From: Eric Raskin @ 1999-05-10  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Bad news for the two or three DG/UX people out there.... :-(

I'm giving up on the DG/UX Intel port of egcs (i586-dg-dguxR4.20MU03).  In
order to make everything work, you need to switch from the DG/UX assembler
and linker to the GNU versions.  If you don't, then the "weak" designations
don't work properly, and the stage2-to-stage3 compare operation during the
bootstrap fails.  If you do change, then you break the compiler supplied
with the base OS (which specifies some funky switches to the DG assembler in
order to fix up debugging information).  I've also found that debugging with
the new tools is completely broken -- I can't get dbx or gdb to debug
anything produced by the GNU assember/linker tools.  As a matter of fact, I
can't even get the objcopy utility to copy an ELF executable properly when
produced by any of the three compilers on my system -- gcc 2.7.2 (base OS),
gcc 2.8.1 (built myself) and egcs 19990502 snapshot.  The debugging info
gets trashed.  (I'm using binutils 2.9.1.)

Finally, I've found that the egcs C++ implementation on DG/UX won't call
global constructors/destructors from shared libraries.  It isn't just
dynamic linking using dlopen(), it's even the DG/UX version of ld.so that
won't do it.  On DG/UX, this file is called /usr/dglib/libc.so.1, for anyone
who cares to take a look at it.

So, I'm giving up on this port.  It's now beyond my abilities.  Anyone who
wishes to take it over from me can send an E-Mail to ehr@listworks.com.
I'll be happy to send along all the patches I've developed so far.
Alternatively, if anyone has any advice or quick fixes, I'll be happy to try
again.

Eric H. Raskin                                 Voice: 914-769-7100 x321
President, CSC Division                   Fax:    914-769-8070
The Listworks Corp.                         E-Mail: ehr@listworks.com
1 Campus Drive
Pleasantville, NY 10570

PS.  I spoke to the people at Data General.  They only support a C++
compiler sold by EPC (Edinburgh Portable Compilers).  I guess I'll have to
go buy it.  Anyone know anything about it?