From: Jeffrey A Law <law@upchuck.cygnus.com>
To: Robert Lipe <robertlipe@usa.net>
Cc: Eric Raskin <ehr@listworks.com>, egcs@egcs.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: DG/UX Port - Giving Up!!
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 21:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

  In message < 19990510104905.D14813@rjlhome.sco.com >you write:
  > It is entirely possible to have the GNU assembler and the native
  > assembler on the same system if that's what you're asking.
Yup.  Lots of systems need to do this.  Including my favorite, hpux :-)

  > If the issue
  > is that you need to GCC to call the two assemblers with different flags,
  > there is prior art for that, too.  (Look in configure.in and search for
  > "sco5gas".  If configured --with-gnu-as that target will forget about
  > all the funky flags to pass to the assembler and instead use a set that
  > will work with GAS.  Note how sco5gas.h just sets a flag and "wraps" the
  > current sco5.h.)
Yup.  We do something similar for hpux too.  Though we don't need to change
the flags, we do need to change certain pseudo-ops and obscure code generation
issues.

  > You may be able to tinker with the debugging formats used.  If you have
  > an all-GNU toolchain (and compatibility with the native chain isn't
  > important), stabs are probably the thing to use.  The way I read dgux.h,
  > it prefers to use DWARF1 but does also build in stabs.   Try turning that
  > on (using -gstabs) and see if it makes life better for you.  If you like
  > it, then just configure your tree with --with-stabs to make it the default.
Right.  What may be best is to find out what debugging format the existing
tools on the dgux system want to use, then force gcc to use the same kinds of
debug symbols.

  > In general, I found that trying to debug everything (gcc, ld, as, gdb)
  > at once was really hard.  I'd focus on getting the compiler to work well
  > enough to do a bootstrap with native binary tools then iterate over the
  > debugger and GNU binutils to bring those up.
Right.

jeff