* Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586
@ 1999-08-04 13:47 IGOR LEONIDOVICH MARKOV
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: IGOR LEONIDOVICH MARKOV @ 1999-08-04 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: binaire

  Hi,

       I had a very troublesome morning today, partly due to negligence
  of various people, apparently including egcs maintainers etc. First, I
  wanted to upgrade egcs to gcc-2.95 on my RedHat-6.0 system. You probably
  know that things come in "RPM"s for RedHat (a way to install stuff), but
  nothing was announced on teh RedHat mailing lists or egcs.cygnus.com
  So, I went to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/contrib and found   gcc-2.95*rpm
  gcc-c++-2.95*rpm and the like. Downloaded those. Trying to install..
  they conflict w egcs-1.1.2 (that came w Linux). Ok, removed egcs and
  egcs-c++ .. updated binutils to the latest...  trying to compile a
  C++ hello world program, it can't find iostream.h .. ok, looked around,
  found libstdc++ RPMs (including devel). Installed them, but the previous
  version was needed by a bunch of programs including KDE and netscape,
  so I have two ATM.
    Now, I can compile  cout << " hello" <<endl;
    but it does not run giving me "Illegal instruction (core dumped)"

  RPMs are signed by Hung Quan <binaire@videotron.ca>
  (By the way, RPM install complained because it could not find
  user binaire... so was installing things as root)

  I suggest that egcs maintainers take care of RPMs for gcc-2.95
  and (a) announce all necessary RPMs and the install sequence on
  their site, (b) dub the announcement through RedHat RPM lists

   thanks,
							Igor

* Re: Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586
@ 1999-08-04 13:58 IGOR LEONIDOVICH MARKOV
From: IGOR LEONIDOVICH MARKOV @ 1999-08-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: binaire

  Follow-up... I am able to compile and run a C hello world program,
  so this is likely to be an issue of stdc++

[imarkov@localhost ~]$ rpm -q libstdc++
libstdc++-2.9.0-12
libstdc++-2.95-2
[imarkov@localhost ~]$

   quite likely, I should just force the upgrade of 2.9,
   but if this fails, many things may not work anymore,
   so I better wait for advice.

   Also, please cc: imarkov@cs.ucla.edu
   because I am not subscribed to the mailing list (reading it
   over the Web)
							Igor

   P.S. For some reason, posts from cs.ucla.edu are rejected
        by egcs.cygnus.com -- pretty obnoxious, I'd say.

* Re: Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586
@ 1999-08-04 15:13 John Wehle
From: John Wehle @ 1999-08-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: imarkov; +Cc: gcc

> somehow, I don't see the explanations making sense...
>
> Joe is essentially saying "use at your own risk"...
>    that's not very helpful

It's hard to troubleshoot a product produced by a third party.
The best people to supply support for that product is those
people who made it.  The product produced by the gcc maintainers
is a source code release and I'm sure that they would be
interest in problems building their product on RedHat.

> It is certainly up to gcc maintainers to know what's new
> in libstc++-2.95 and what problems this may cause. That's
> the help I am trying to get here.

I'm sure that they do know what's new in libstc++-2.95, unfortunately
this isn't what you are asking about.  You are asking about problems
with a specific binary produced by a third party.  It's true that the
third party may have build the binary from gcc source code, however
there's a lot of variables outside of gcc maintainers control which
effect whether the binary in question will be useful for you.  Presumably
these variables are in the control of whoever built the binary.

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |

* RE: Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586
@ 1999-08-04 15:41 Beardsley, Jason
From: Beardsley, Jason @ 1999-08-04 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Igor Markov'; +Cc: gcc

IMHO, implying that the GCC group should take any kind of
responsibility for RPMs uploaded to RedHat's contrib directory
is utterly ridiculous.  I can't imagine you seriously mean that.
If the packages don't work, then complain to the people who
built them.

If you can't wait for RedHat to issue an official upgrade
to GCC 2.95, then may I suggest building it from source?

Jason Beardsley

From: John Wehle @ 1999-08-04 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: imarkov; +Cc: gcc

>   thanks... what you are saying makes sense, but my
> main suggestion was that egcs maintainers consider
> ensuring the availability of good RPMs. This may
> include contacting someone who can pack RPMs, or
> learning the RPM tricks or... talking to RedHat,
> whatever. Please do not consider this as "making
> binaries for every trashy system", but rather
> "ensuring the utility to major customers".

A very understandable suggestion clearly stated,
unfortunately the wording on early emails seemed
a little harsh and not as clear.

  1) The RPMs tend to quickly get very platform specific
     which means that it's a very big matrix to support.
     The gcc maintainers are concerned that good RPMs
     are available, however they expect the bulk of the
     responsibility for this to be handled by each OS vendor
     since the OS vendor knows best how to configure
     the software for their system.

  2) Since the gcc maintainers release a source code product
     which anyone can use and / or distribute (as long as the
     copyright is respected), it's difficult for them to act
     as police and prevent RPMs which are not appropriate for
     some people to be placed on ftp sites.  Keep in mind that
     they are somewhat understaffed and overworked as it is ...
     and quite frankly it's not their job.

I expect that RedHat will at some point release
a RPM which will work for you.  Unfortunately it
sounds like what you grabbed wasn't released by
RedHat for your platform.  If it's urgent that
you have the new release *now* then you can:

  1) Try random RPMs and contact whoever built
     the RPM for help.

  2) Try building gcc 2.95 from the original source
     code.  If you run into problems then follow the
     instructions for reporting a bug and someone
     probably will try to help out.

  3) Find / hire someone to help you in this endeavor.

Sorry I can't be of more help (my only RedHat development
system at the moment is 5.2 and it's awaiting a new motherboard).

@ 1999-08-04 17:42 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1999-08-04 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: imarkov, jbuck; +Cc: binaire, egcs, robertlipe

> Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 16:57:56 -0700
> From: Igor Markov <imarkov@cs.ucla.edu>

>   2. You can contact people who can do this
>
>    Keeping a mailing list for people who can ensure that binaries
>    are available isn't hard.

Yes, it isn't, and we do this.  It is called gcc-announce, and
anyone and everyone that cares to be on it is already on it.

* Re: Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586
@ 1999-08-05 12:34 Ram'on Garc'ia Fern'andez
From: Ram'on Garc'ia Fern'andez @ 1999-08-05 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

What makes the attitude of Igor Markov very unpolite is to place
a striking message on the subject line
"Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586"

It appears that Igor believes that he is very clever using a subject
line that looks as a serious bug report, so that it is more likely
to be read. If I where an EGCS developer I would feel offended.
You can forgive one newbie who makes a silly question on this mailing
list, after all all of we have been newbies. Even if the question  is
very silly you can answer it if you have free time. But complaing
that he does not have a RPM and using such a subject line is a very
different thing. It is like those spams messages that have a subject
line that looks like a message from a friend. Or like those messages
that have a From line like if your admistrator had written them, and then
you find out that they offer how to win 3000$ in a day..
This is not acceptable at all.

Certainly GCC developers are more polite than me, taking
into account that none of them mentioned the bad attitude of Igor.

These facts do not encourage GCC development. Even if some developers
of GCC are full-time Cygnus employees, many of them are volunteers.
Some of them, like Craig, have made a very remarkable work.
The combination of Igor messages with Torvalds insults makes the will
of these volunteers more difficult to maintain. So end users like me
should at least acknowledge the quality of their work. And if we must
solve a problem related to end use, we should try first with any
Linux expert that we find near us. If we must make a question about
instalation, let us find out as much as posible by ourselves, so
that developer time can be more productive.

Ramon

* RE: Illegal instruction (core dumped) on i586
@ 1999-08-06 12:04 Putney, Jeff
From: Putney, Jeff @ 1999-08-06 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

So some yahoo really thinks gcc should be distributed as source and RedHat
RPMs?  Why redhat?  Why not distribute binaries as solaris packages, or
HP/UX packages, or AIX packages, or DG/UX packages and let's have them do
packages for Slackware and Debian, and all the other linux distrobutions
while we're asking.  Then, while we are on a roll, let's have them do a
package for each of those OS's for each distrobution for each architecture
they run on.
Linux will run on the palm pilot, don't forget to make a distrobution for
that.
Oh, wait, we need different packages depending on library versions, and type
of assembler and linker.
So, why single out RedHat on an x86?  Is there really a that much greater
density of stupidity on that particular platform.  If so, what does a group
of compiler hackers have to gain from such a group by catering to them?  A
bunch of bug reports because the compiler wouldn't fix their syntax errors
for them and moronic code examples to point to and laugh at is about the
only payback they would get.

--jeff (not the Law, but a jeff of a different flavor)