* vacation and strict aliasing
@ 1999-09-09 17:56 Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1999-09-09 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm about to leave town for a couple of weeks, so I won't be able
to keep up my end of the type-aliasing battle.  But I hope that the
matter isn't just dropped.

As John Vickers points out, there's a lot of free software out there
that is effectively not being maintained, and users or fixers of the
software will require assistance.

I'm kinda hoping that at least someone will be motivated to experiment
with a patch to try to produce some warnings.  Yes, I know it's not
a good thing to ask someone else to do the work, so if no one manages
to get around to this in the next couple of weeks, I'll try some hacking
myself when I get back in town.

* Re: vacation and strict aliasing
@ 1999-09-11  0:16 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 1999-09-11  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbuck; +Cc: gcc

    I'm about to leave town for a couple of weeks, so I won't be able
    to keep up my end of the type-aliasing battle.  But I hope that the
    matter isn't just dropped.

    As John Vickers points out, there's a lot of free software out there
    that is effectively not being maintained, and users or fixers of the
    software will require assistance.

While a warning would help the situation, making some these programs
once again produce working code would be a very effective kind
of help.  We are not certain we can keep those programs forever,
but even if it is just for a few years, that would be good.

* Re: vacation and strict aliasing
@ 1999-09-12 17:59   ` Marc Lehmann
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Marc Lehmann @ 1999-09-12 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 03:25:53AM -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>     As John Vickers points out, there's a lot of free software out there
>     that is effectively not being maintained, and users or fixers of the
>     software will require assistance.
>
> While a warning would help the situation, making some these programs
> once again produce working code would be a very effective kind
> of help.  We are not certain we can keep those programs forever,
> but even if it is just for a few years, that would be good.

Has anobdy made a list of programs that brak because of the aliasing issue? I
only know these:

- linux-kernel (known and worked around)
- perl (worked around, but its not clear wether theres a bug)

I imagine that programs might break because of other reasons as well, e.g.
libc enhancements, other optimizations in gcc, races...

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@goof.com      |e|

* Re: vacation and strict aliasing
@ 1999-09-13  3:29     ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1999-09-13  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Marc Lehmann <marc@gimp.org> writes:

> Has anobdy made a list of programs that brak because of the aliasing
> issue? I only know these:

> - linux-kernel (known and worked around)
> - perl (worked around, but its not clear wether theres a bug)

Not at all clear.  I don't get any test suite failures with a version of
Perl prior to any workarounds and compiled with gcc 2.95.  If it caused
any bugs, they're pretty subtle.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL: http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/ >

* Re: vacation and strict aliasing
@ 1999-09-13 13:00       ` Marc Lehmann
From: Marc Lehmann @ 1999-09-13 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 03:28:54AM -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Has anobdy made a list of programs that brak because of the aliasing
> > issue? I only know these:
>
> > - linux-kernel (known and worked around)
> > - perl (worked around, but its not clear wether theres a bug)
>
> Not at all clear.  I don't get any test suite failures with a version of
> Perl prior to any workarounds and compiled with gcc 2.95.  If it caused
> any bugs, they're pretty subtle.

I really wasn't clear ;) There is a workaround for a known issue that is
"invalid" code (XPVHV * vs. different * in different structs), but gcc
does not cause any harm.

That code is problematic anyway, as an XPVHV * need not have the same
layout as other pointers.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@goof.com      |e|

* Re: vacation and strict aliasing
@ 1999-09-14  3:51     ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-09-14  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marc; +Cc: egcs

In article < 19990913003520.B14917@cerebro.laendle > you write:

>Has anobdy made a list of programs that brak because of the aliasing issue? I
>only know these:

>- linux-kernel (known and worked around)
>- perl (worked around, but its not clear wether theres a bug)

Niklas Hallqvist traced a bug in the OpenBSD kernel to aliasing issues.

* Re: vacation and strict aliasing
@ 1999-09-30 18:02   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 1999-09-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbuck; +Cc: gcc