* Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-26  5:21 nbecker
From: nbecker @ 1999-10-26  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Subject says it all.

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-26  8:50 ` Mark Mitchell
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 1999-10-26  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nbecker; +Cc: gcc

>>>>> "nbecker" == nbecker  <nbecker@fred.net> writes:

    nbecker> Subject says it all.

I'm not sure this is the right thing.  We certainly have customers who
want -O2 and -fstrict-aliasing, but specifically don't want function
that aren't marked inline to be inlined.  (And -O3 has some serious
compile-time memory usage implications.)  Basically, I don't think
this optimization falls into a total ordering above
-finline-functions.

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-27  0:18   ` Andris Pavenis
From: Andris Pavenis @ 1999-10-27  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell, nbecker; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>     nbecker> Subject says it all.
>
> I'm not sure this is the right thing.  We certainly have customers who
> want -O2 and -fstrict-aliasing, but specifically don't want function
> that aren't marked inline to be inlined.  (And -O3 has some serious
> compile-time memory usage implications.)  Basically, I don't think
> this optimization falls into a total ordering above
> -finline-functions.

Perhaps one who needs -fstrict-aliasing with 2.95.2 could simply modify
specs by adding '%(!no-strict-aliasing: -fstrict-aliasing)' to cc1_spec
(or one can do the oposite with gcc-2.95.1 and gcc-2.95 to disable strict
aliasing). So the default can be simply changed.

Maybe such hack should be mentioned in FAQ.

Andris

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-28  5:33   ` nbecker
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: nbecker @ 1999-10-28  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

    nbecker> Subject says it all.

    Mark> I'm not sure this is the right thing.  We certainly have customers who
    Mark> want -O2 and -fstrict-aliasing, but specifically don't want function
    Mark> that aren't marked inline to be inlined.  (And -O3 has some serious
    Mark> compile-time memory usage implications.)  Basically, I don't think
    Mark> this optimization falls into a total ordering above
    Mark> -finline-functions.

I understand your point.  There is almost never a perfect mapping from
a multidimensional space to a one dimensional space.  But I think the
proposal is a good one.

0) no opt
1) quick/simple opt
2) extensive/expensive opt
3) opt that may increase code size
4) potentially dangerous opt

Sure, it won't suit every need, but I think it's sensible and will be
useful to the vast majority of users.

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-28  6:21     ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 1999-10-28  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nbecker; +Cc: richard.earnshaw

nbecker@fred.net said:
> 0) no opt
> 1) quick/simple opt
> 2) extensive/expensive opt
> 3) opt that may increase code size
> 4) potentially dangerous opt

There is nothing potentially dangerous about -mstrict-aliasing if your
code is written according to the rules for ANSI C.

There are many other optimizations in the compiler that will break code
that doesn't meet the standard; I don't see why we should make an
exception for this one.

@ 1999-10-28  8:14     ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 1999-10-28  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nbecker; +Cc: gcc

  4) potentially dangerous opt

But I don't think we should encourage people to think of
-fstrict-aliasing this way.  As we've discussed, lots of previous
optimizations broke code that "always worked" before.

It's OK that we've disabled -fstrict-aliasing by default; hopefully,
at some point, it will be culturally acceptable to turn it back on.
But, when we do, it should be at O2, not at something beyond O3.  It's
an:

  2) extensive/expensive opt

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-29 18:22     ` Gerald Pfeifer
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-10-29 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andris Pavenis; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, nbecker, gcc

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Andris Pavenis wrote:
> Perhaps one who needs -fstrict-aliasing with 2.95.2 could simply modify
> specs by adding '%(!no-strict-aliasing: -fstrict-aliasing)' to cc1_spec
> (or one can do the oposite with gcc-2.95.1 and gcc-2.95 to disable strict
> aliasing). So the default can be simply changed.
>
> Maybe such hack should be mentioned in FAQ.

Personally I don't think we should add that to the FAQ, but if others feel
differently, please let me know, I don't have any strong preference.

Gerald

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-30  1:37       ` Andris Pavenis
From: Andris Pavenis @ 1999-10-30  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, nbecker, gcc

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Andris Pavenis wrote:
> > Perhaps one who needs -fstrict-aliasing with 2.95.2 could simply modify
> > specs by adding '%(!no-strict-aliasing: -fstrict-aliasing)' to cc1_spec

Sorry I had typo here. It should be:

@ 1999-10-31 17:41       ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-10-31 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Andris Pavenis, Mark Mitchell, nbecker, gcc

On Oct 29, 1999, Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Andris Pavenis wrote:
>> Perhaps one who needs -fstrict-aliasing with 2.95.2 could simply modify
>> specs by adding '%(!no-strict-aliasing: -fstrict-aliasing)' to cc1_spec
>> (or one can do the oposite with gcc-2.95.1 and gcc-2.95 to disable strict
>> aliasing). So the default can be simply changed.
>>
>> Maybe such hack should be mentioned in FAQ.

> Personally I don't think we should add that to the FAQ, but if others feel
> differently, please let me know, I don't have any strong preference.

Someone wrote before that we shouldn't teach people to modify their
spec files, as this generally leads to irreproducible bug reports,
because of the hidden arguments passed to the compiler.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm,computer}.org

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-31 23:35       ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nbecker; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-10-31 23:35       ` Richard Earnshaw
From: Richard Earnshaw @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nbecker; +Cc: richard.earnshaw

@ 1999-10-31 23:35         ` Andris Pavenis
From: Andris Pavenis @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, nbecker, gcc

@ 1999-10-31 23:35 ` nbecker
From: nbecker @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Subject says it all.

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-31 23:35     ` nbecker
From: nbecker @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

From: Mark Mitchell @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nbecker; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-10-31 23:35       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andris Pavenis; +Cc: Mark Mitchell, nbecker, gcc

@ 1999-10-31 23:35         ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Andris Pavenis, Mark Mitchell, nbecker, gcc

From: Andris Pavenis @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell, nbecker; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-10-31 23:35 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark, nbecker; +Cc: gcc

> To: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
> From: nbecker@fred.net
> Date: 28 Oct 1999 08:32:59 -0400

> 4) potentially dangerous opt

Please, don't use these words, they have a tendency to confuse new
users.  Use the term `newer optimizations that haven't been around for
more than 20 years', or some other such notion.  ;-P

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-31 23:35   ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: schd; +Cc: egcs

In article < 199910281246.OAA15434@aras.mra.man.de > you write:
>    Mark> I'm not sure this is the right thing.  We certainly have
>customers who    Mark> want -O2 and -fstrict-aliasing, but specifically
>don't want function
>    Mark> that aren't marked inline to be inlined.  (And -O3 has some serious
>    Mark> compile-time memory usage implications.)  Basically, I don't think
>    Mark> this optimization falls into a total ordering above
>    Mark> -finline-functions.
>
>Just a thought: Making -O4 imply strict-aliasing as proposed does not mean
>that -O2 -fstrict-aliasing isn't possible any more.

making -O4 (arbitrarily) imply -fstrict-aliasing is a kludge-over-a-kludge.

I've been advocating removing -fstrict-aliasing from the default optimizations
for now, as knowledgeable users will turn it back on, and naive users don't
get bitten.

There is ABSOLUTELY *no* rationale to arbitrarily put -fstrict-aliasing at
-O4, or -O42, for that matter.

Right now, the various -O levels are defined in terms of purpose, -O
for simple optimizations, -O2 for good optimisations, -O3 for optimisations
that trade-off speed for size...

The only `dangerous' optimisations (-ffast-math) have their own separate
flags, and nobody ever thought of integrating it into -O42...

This doesn't make any sense.

* Re: Proposal: -O4 -> strict-aliasing
@ 1999-10-31 23:35 ` Dietmar P. Schindler
From: Dietmar P. Schindler @ 1999-10-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)