* Re: Register Spilling
@ 2003-12-11 13:53 Naveen Sharma, Noida
From: Naveen Sharma, Noida @ 2003-12-11 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans-Peter Nilsson; +Cc: gcc, Sanjiv Gupta

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Naveen Sharma, Noida wrote:
>> This was the last post.
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-01/msg02567.html
>>
>> Do let me know if you are interesred to use this.
>
> (FWIW, I am.)
>
>> This has
>> not been checked in the mainline. For patches like this
>> to go into mainline, they should be tested for atleast 5 gcc
>> targets. I couldn't do that.
>
>Yes you can: <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/simtest-howto.html> tells
>you how.

Thanks, I knew this but for an optimization patch, we
need to prove that it actually improves (or doesn't degrade)
code for (N >= 5) targets. This IMHO requires significant effort.
But since there is interest on this, I can do simulator
test with latest version of the patch, but not in a position to
fix problems except sh-elf.

> Certainly many of the target listed fail to build

This would probably have to be tested on tree-ssa branch now, right?
Let me check what additional problems arise.

Best Regards,
Naveen Sharma.

> should be able to find five even without including your host
> computer.
>   Last I checked, arm-elf, m32r-elf, mips-elf,
> mn10300-elf, v850-elf and sh-elf worked (perhaps others do, but
> I don't test all the listed ones).  Oh, you can test using MMIX
> too; put Knuth's simulator named "mmix", linked from
> <URL:http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/mmix-news.html>
> somewhere in your PATH, use --target_board=mmixware-sim.
>
> brgds, H-P

* Re: Register Spilling
@ 2003-12-11 13:22 ` Hans-Peter Nilsson
From: Hans-Peter Nilsson @ 2003-12-11 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naveen Sharma, Noida; +Cc: Umar Janjua, gcc, Sanjiv Gupta

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Naveen Sharma, Noida wrote:
> This was the last post.
>
> Do let me know if you are interesred to use this.

(FWIW, I am.)

> This has
> not been checked in the mainline. For patches like this
> to go into mainline, they should be tested for atleast 5 gcc
> targets. I couldn't do that.

Yes you can: <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/simtest-howto.html> tells
you how.

Certainly many of the target listed fail to build, but you

@ 2003-12-11 11:11 Naveen Sharma, Noida
From: Naveen Sharma, Noida @ 2003-12-11 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umar Janjua; +Cc: gcc, Sanjiv Gupta

> > There have been some proposals to sort them, offhand I
> don't know if  there are patches available anywhere for this.
> > --
> > Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com
> >

> One of them is

This was the last post.

Do let me know if you are interesred to use this. This has
not been checked in the mainline. For patches like this
to go into mainline, they should be tested for atleast 5 gcc
targets. I couldn't do that. But I can help, if you are
interested.

Best Regards,
Naveen Sharma.

* RE: Register Spilling
@ 2003-12-11  9:01       ` Sanjiv Gupta
From: Sanjiv Gupta @ 2003-12-11  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umar Janjua; +Cc: gcc

> There have been some proposals to sort them, offhand I don't know if
> there are patches available anywhere for this.
> --
> Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.SpecifixInc.com

One of them is

--Sanjiv

* Re: Register Spilling
@ 2003-12-11  7:59     ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2003-12-11  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umar Janjua; +Cc: gcc

Umar Janjua wrote:
> Are the register spilled values laid out in memory following
>  some particular scheme or randomly?

They are first come first served.  The first one spilled gets the first
available stack slot, etc.

There have been some proposals to sort them, offhand I don't know if
there are patches available anywhere for this.

* Register Spilling
@ 2003-12-10 14:19   ` Umar Janjua
From: Umar Janjua @ 2003-12-10 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc