* RE(2): C++ Compiler Search
@ 2000-03-28  1:45 Julián Calderón Almendros
From: Julián Calderón Almendros @ 2000-03-28  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc

>> My name is Christos Kolliatsas and I am new at the world of C++
>> programming, but relatively old in the programming area in
>> general. I have decided to get involved with C++ but I cannot locate
>> a C++ Compiler in the Internet. GNU site states that you have a free
>> compiler for C++, but I wasn't able to locate. I would welcome any
>> help or information available.
>
>The "GCC release 2.95" (and most older and all newer releases) include
>a C++ compiler. In fact, GCC now stands for "GNU Compiler Collection":
>It includes compilers for the C, C++, Fortran, Java, and Chill
>languages (with Pascal and Ada to be included in the future).

Will C,C++,Fortran77,Fortran95,Java,Chill,Pascal (Borland Objects Oriented
extensions), and Ada95 be the complete collection of compilers into GCC
(whith a common IDE)?
There exit other language projects GNU (of FSF?) as Scheme,as Lisp, as
Prolog ... will they be in any future GCC?.

Thanks
Julian Calderon Almendros

* Re: C++ Compiler Search
@ 2000-03-28 11:07 ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2000-03-28 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juli?n Calder?n Almendros; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 11:44:17AM +0200, Juli?n Calder?n Almendros wrote:
> Will C,C++,Fortran77,Fortran95,Java,Chill,Pascal (Borland Objects Oriented
> extensions), and Ada95 be the complete collection of compilers into GCC
> (whith a common IDE)?

As of GCC 3.0, C, C++, Objective C, Fortran 77, Java, Chill, Pascal
and Ada 95 will probably be the languages that GCC compiles. No one
knows what it will eventually handle. There never will be a common IDE -
other projects - EMACS, GIDE - handle this role for GNU.

> There exit other language projects GNU (of FSF?) as Scheme,as Lisp, as
> Prolog ... will they be in any future GCC?.

GCC is a common backend. The list above is the entire list of functioning
GNU frontends to the GCC backend, and hence the only projects that could
be included.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with

* Re: C++ Compiler Search
@ 1999-11-30 23:37   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-11-30 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christos.kolliatsas; +Cc: gcc

> My name is Christos Kolliatsas and I am new at the world of C++
> programming, but relatively old in the programming area in
> general. I have decided to get involved with C++ but I cannot locate
> a C++ Compiler in the Internet. GNU site states that you have a free
> compiler for C++, but I wasn't able to locate. I would welcome any
> help or information available.

The "GCC release 2.95" (and most older and all newer releases) include
a C++ compiler. In fact, GCC now stands for "GNU Compiler Collection":
It includes compilers for the C, C++, Fortran, Java, and Chill
languages (with Pascal and Ada to be included in the future).

If you have a Linux or *BSD installation, it most likely already
includes a C compiler, which is called "g++" or "c++". For Windows and
NT, pre-built binaries are also available.

Regards,
Martin

* C++ Compiler Search
@ 1999-11-30 23:37 ` christos kolliatsas
From: christos kolliatsas @ 1999-11-30 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Sirs,

My name is Christos Kolliatsas and I am new at the world of C++
programming, but relatively old in the programming area in general. I have
decided to get involved with C++ but I cannot locate a C++ Compiler in the
Internet. GNU site states that you have a free compiler for C++, but I
wasn't able to locate. I would welcome any help or information available.

Looking forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours sincerely,

Christos Kolliatsas

* Re: C++ Compiler Search
@ 1999-11-28 13:21 ` Martin v. Loewis