* Re: RE(2): C++ Compiler Search
@ 2000-03-28 12:15 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-03-28 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, jcalderon

> From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Juli=E1n_Calder=F3n_Almendros?=" <jcalderon@ctima.uma.es>
> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:44:17 +0200

> Will C,C++,Fortran77,Fortran95,Java,Chill,Pascal (Borland Objects
> Oriented extensions), and Ada95 be the complete collection of
> compilers

No, we can't promise that we won't add others.  :-) Also, while many
of us would love to see Ada, Pascal and others folded in, this doesn't
happen unless someone makes it happen (so no promises).  Also, things
like Fortran95 will require that someone also donate a compiler for
it, as we don't have a complete solution to that today.

> into GCC (whith a common IDE)?

Since there is no IDE, I guess it is trivially common.

> There exit other language projects GNU (of FSF?) as Scheme,as Lisp,
> as Prolog ... will they be in any future GCC?.

Doesn't make much since in the shorter term unless they are compiled.
Long term, only if it is somehow better.  We don't yet know of any
compelling reasons, so we have not done so.  In the future, there may
(or may not be) compelling reasons.  Only time will tell.

* RE(2): C++ Compiler Search
@ 2000-03-28  1:45 Julián Calderón Almendros
From: Julián Calderón Almendros @ 2000-03-28  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc

>> My name is Christos Kolliatsas and I am new at the world of C++
>> programming, but relatively old in the programming area in
>> general. I have decided to get involved with C++ but I cannot locate
>> a C++ Compiler in the Internet. GNU site states that you have a free
>> compiler for C++, but I wasn't able to locate. I would welcome any
>> help or information available.
>
>The "GCC release 2.95" (and most older and all newer releases) include
>a C++ compiler. In fact, GCC now stands for "GNU Compiler Collection":
>It includes compilers for the C, C++, Fortran, Java, and Chill
>languages (with Pascal and Ada to be included in the future).

Will C,C++,Fortran77,Fortran95,Java,Chill,Pascal (Borland Objects Oriented
extensions), and Ada95 be the complete collection of compilers into GCC
(whith a common IDE)?
There exit other language projects GNU (of FSF?) as Scheme,as Lisp, as
Prolog ... will they be in any future GCC?.

Thanks
Julian Calderon Almendros