* Profiling info
@ 2000-03-30  5:51 Gigi Fata Neagra
From: Gigi Fata Neagra @ 2000-03-30  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ask

Does someone know where can i find some
info about profiling with gcc (other than gcc and gprof manual )
?
I need info about how can i do my own profiling
library.
Thanks Adi

* Re: Profiling info
@ 2000-03-30  7:00 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-03-30  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: senti1; +Cc: gcc

> Does someone know where can i find some info about profiling with gcc
> (other than gcc and gprof manual ) ?
> I need info about how can i do my own profiling library.

You can certainly use the source code of gcc in addition to the
manual. If you find the source code answers a question that is not
answered in the manual but should, please contribute a patch to the
documentation.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: Profiling info
@ 2000-04-02  8:24 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-04-02  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: senti1; +Cc: gcc

> Thanks for idea. I've found some sources which seems to be from
> gprof's library.

> 1. But how can i know if i've found all the sources ?

You could start by telling us what source exactly you've found, and
where you found it.

> 2. Are they coming in one separate package ?

gprof support is also part of gcc, by means of the 'gcc -pg'
option. So part of the gprof implementation is in gcc.

> 3. If yes, where i can find it ?

gcc source code is on gcc.gnu.org

> 4. Are there (on web) some docs with profiling algorithms
> or some other sources related with profiling libraries for gcc ?

Please have a look at the gprof manual, in particular (gprof)Details
(with subsections on implementation, the file format, internals and
debugging). For GCC, you'll find details in (gcc)Profiling. These are
all info files, which should come with your typical Linux
distribution.

Regards,
Martin