* [ebuddington@mail.wesleyan.edu: cccp.c::print_help() not called.]
@ 2000-04-01 18:40 Bradley M. Kuhn - Assistant to RMS
From: Bradley M. Kuhn - Assistant to RMS @ 2000-04-01 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

This message was originally sent directly to RMS.  He asked me to forward
such messages along to <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>.

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:09:21 -0500 (EST)
From: "Eric R. Buddington" <ebuddington@mail.wesleyan.edu>
To: rms@gnu.org
Subject: cccp.c::print_help() not called.

Hi.

A while ago I was failing to fix a problem of autoconf wherein ./configure
did macro substitution with cpp, which had undesired, built-in defines.
I just now discovered the 'cpp -u' switch, which does what I want, but
doesn't appear in 'cpp --help'.

The cpp in the *build* directory gives the expected help message (from
cccp.c), but the xcpp that gets installed seems to be a different beast
entirely (basically a teraked gcc, according to the Makefile). I assume
that cccp.c is just for bootstrapping?

I propose that cccp.c::print_help() and cpp.c::display_help get moved into
cppspec.c and gccspec.c, respectively, in order to give more relevant
help for whatever program is invoked. Do you agree?

Eric Buddington
North Adams, MA