* gcc-ss-20000530 is now available
@ 2000-05-30 14:22 law
From: law @ 2000-05-30 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

egcs-ss-20000530 is now available on
egcs.cygnus.com:/pub/egcs/snapshots/2000-05-30

(and on various mirrors, see the egcs home page for mirror sites).

You'll find:

  egcs-20000530.tar.gz                  The full egcs snapshot, including all
                                        languages runtime libraries.

  egcs-core-20000530.tar.gz             Just the C front end and core compiler.

  egcs-g++-20000530.tar.gz              The g++ language and runtime.

  egcs-g77-20000530.tar.gz              The g77 language and runtime.

  egcs-objc-20000530.tar.gz             The Objective-C font end and runtime.

  egcs-java-20000530.tar.gz             The Java font end.

  egcs-chill-20000530.tar.gz            The Chill font end and runtime.

If you are using an x86 GNU/Linux system that uses RPMs to handle
installation, you may find the daily RPM snapshots at:

http://www.codesourcery.com/gcc-snapshots.html

easier to install.

Diffs from 20000508 are not available.

Note at times you may find newer directories on the server with limited
permissions.  These represent snapshots that have not yet been verified
as correct, or are known to be incorrect.

When a particular snapshot is ready for public consumption the directory
permissions are relaxed, the LATEST-IS- file is updated and a message is
sent to the egcs list.

Using a snapshot before it's officially made available is an unwise thing
to do since it may become impossible to update to an official snapshot.

The "gcc_latest_snapshot" tag has been moved.  You can use
cvs update -rgcc_latest_snapshot to update your CVS tree to the latest
official snapshot.

* Re: gcc-ss-20000530 is now available
@ 2000-06-02 23:56     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-06-02 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Josling; +Cc: GCC

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Tim Josling wrote:
> Nor all of us CAN use CVS.
>
> - bandwidth. Even people in the US with pretty good links have
> had problems. Let alone me 10,000 miles and 25 hops away.

I'm also 10,000 miles and 18 hops away, and using CVS over an
(single-channel) ISDN line is no problem at all. The only real
problem I can see with CVS are fascist corporate firewalls.

> If you are going to remove the weekly snapshots facility, there
> is a better way to do it than just letting it break.

I am not aware of any such plans, and I certainly did not mean to
indicate that:

  >> In general, if you're interested in testing/contributing to
  >> GCC, we strongly recommend to use CVS instead of snapshots.

However, it might be good idea to find some volunteer(s) that are
interesting in helping Jeff with those snapshots and do some quality
control etc!

Gerald

* Re: gcc-ss-20000530 is now available
@ 2000-06-02 17:11   ` Tim Josling
From: Tim Josling @ 2000-06-02 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer, GCC

Nor all of us CAN use CVS.

- bandwidth. Even people in the US with pretty good links have
had problems. Let alone me 10,000 miles and 25 hops away.
- latency over sattelite links
- firewall problems

If you are going to remove the weekly snapshots facility, there
is a better way to do it than just letting it break.

Such as

- announce what you are planning to do and seek feedback
- look at alternatives for those for whom it is a show stopper

Now I and many other people have to download the whole 10+mb
again. This will probably take several attempts.

Tim Josling

@ 2000-06-02  1:34 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-06-02  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Kossmann; +Cc: gcc

@ 2000-06-01 21:45 Markus Kossmann
From: Markus Kossmann @ 2000-06-01 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

law@sourceware.cygnus.com wrote :
[...]
> Diffs from 20000508 are not available.
[...]
And whats's that ?
-rw-rw-r--   1 220      1002          833 May 30 21:17 CHECKSUMS
-rw-rw-r--   1 220      1002      1317176 May 30 21:17
egcs-20000508-20000530.diff.gz
[...]
markus.kossmann@inka.de