* Query about GPL-license
@ 2000-06-14  3:54 Tom Womack
From: Tom Womack @ 2000-06-14  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I know that the output of GCC is not covered by the GPL because libgcc.a has
a specific exemption.

Could you confirm that the same applies to the output of G++ when I'm
compiling STL code (so including lumps of templated stuff for map<foo,bar>,
as well as libstdc++ to get iostream working right)?

Tom

* Re: Query about GPL-license
@ 2000-06-14  7:17 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-06-14  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Womack; +Cc: gcc

  In message < 002f01bfd5ee$e4dd3be0$5637f380@maths.nottingham.ac.uk >you write:
  > I know that the output of GCC is not covered by the GPL because libgcc.a ha
  > a specific exemption.
  >
  > Could you confirm that the same applies to the output of G++ when I'm
  > compiling STL code (so including lumps of templated stuff for map<foo,bar>,
  > as well as libstdc++ to get iostream working right)?
Linking libstdc++ does not infect your code with the GPL.  libstdc++'s
components have license clauses which prevent infection.

jeff

* Re: Query about GPL-license
@ 2000-06-18  9:35 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-06-18  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom; +Cc: gcc

> Could you confirm that the same applies to the output of G++ when I'm
> compiling STL code (so including lumps of templated stuff for map<foo,bar>,
> as well as libstdc++ to get iostream working right)?

Even though this question has been answered, I'd like to point out two
problems in your question.

First, it was sent to gcc@gcc.gnu.org, which is the list discussing
further development of gcc; if you need help with using gcc, please
send the questions to gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.

Furthermore, please try to familiarize yourself with reading licenses,
instead of asking for permission everytime you want to use something.

In the specific case, if you would have looked at stl_map.h, you'd
noticed that it reads

/*
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1994
 * Hewlett-Packard Company
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software
 * and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
 * provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
 * that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear
 * in supporting documentation.  Hewlett-Packard Company makes no
 * representations about the suitability of this software for any
 * purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
 *
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1996,1997
 * Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software
 * and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
 * provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
 * that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear
 * in supporting documentation.  Silicon Graphics makes no
 * representations about the suitability of this software for any
 * purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.
 */

So you got permission to use this software from both HP and SGI - you
don't have to ask us for permission.

Performing a similar investigation for the iostreams code is left as
an exercise to the reader :-)

Regards,
Martin