* bison
@ 2000-07-28 13:15 Jean-Pierre Radley
From: Jean-Pierre Radley @ 2000-07-28 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Developers

Since some time in the last two days, a bootstrap on SCO OSR 5 requires
bison.  Why is that the case?

--
JP

* Re: bison
@ 2000-07-28 13:46 ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2000-07-28 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpr; +Cc: gcc

    Jean-Pierre> Since some time in the last two days, a bootstrap on
    Jean-Pierre> SCO OSR 5 requires bison.  Why is that the case?

Because we didn't want to have generated files in the CVS repository.
There's an effort underway to automatically generate those files for
CVS downloads; we'll certainly include the files in releases.

* Re: bison
@ 2000-07-29 15:56 ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 2000-07-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpr; +Cc: gcc

In article < 20000728161542.D4475@jpradley.jpr.com > you write:
>Since some time in the last two days, a bootstrap on SCO OSR 5 requires
>bison.  Why is that the case?

Actually, the only language that requires bison is java (pure parser).

C, C++ and objective C are usually happy with byacc, though gcc things
otherwise, and you will have to convince the Makefile that yacc IS
bison.

(Usually with a x-* fragment that sets BISON=yacc, and with an env
variable that also says YACC=yacc, which takes care of autoconf tests).

* Re: bison
@ 2000-07-30  2:52   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-07-30  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Espie; +Cc: jpr, gcc

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Marc Espie wrote:
> Actually, the only language that requires bison is java (pure parser).
>
> C, C++ and objective C are usually happy with byacc [...]

Isn't that a bug in the Java frontend then (that should be fixed)?

Someone I highly respect when it comes to portability recently wrote
| But for robustness, as soon as you get trapped into having one single
| reference implementation, and dismiss everything else [...], then
| you're in trouble...
and I couldn't agree more when it comes to tools like yacc/bison.

Gerald

* Re: bison
@ 2000-07-30  3:20     ` Marc Espie
From: Marc Espie @ 2000-07-30  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: jpr, gcc

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 11:51:46AM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Marc Espie wrote:
> > Actually, the only language that requires bison is java (pure parser).
> >
> > C, C++ and objective C are usually happy with byacc [...]
>
> Isn't that a bug in the Java frontend then (that should be fixed)?

No, that one is reasonable. You would have heard from me otherwise :)

No version of yacc that I know of supports pure parsers yet, which is what
java wants, and what bison supports.