* Re: gcc for big-endian as default
@ 2000-08-02 13:34 Nick Clifton
From: Nick Clifton @ 2000-08-02 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: naeem.m.afzal; +Cc: gcc

Hi Naeem,

: > How could I make gcc crosscompiler (ARM-LINUX) to compile with
: > target paltform as big-endian, so that when compiling with this
: > compiler, I dont have to use -mbig-endian every time.

The simplest method is to add the -mbig-endian switch to CC1_SPEC
defiend in gcc/config/arm/arm.h, like this:

  #define CC1_SPEC "-mbig-endian"

Note, that you will probably also want to change the defintion of
CPP_ENDIAN_DEFAULT_SPEC to reflect this change.

Also you ought to change the defintion of MULTILIB_DEFAULTS in
gcc/config/arm/linux-elf.h again to reflect this change.

Cheers
	Nick

* Re: gcc for big-endian as default
@ 2000-08-02 13:52 ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2000-08-02 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Clifton; +Cc: naeem.m.afzal, gcc

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 01:34:45PM -0700, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Naeem,
>
> : > How could I make gcc crosscompiler (ARM-LINUX) to compile with
> : > target paltform as big-endian, so that when compiling with this
> : > compiler, I dont have to use -mbig-endian every time.
>
> The simplest method is to add the -mbig-endian switch to CC1_SPEC
> defiend in gcc/config/arm/arm.h, like this:
>
>   #define CC1_SPEC "-mbig-endian"
>
> Note, that you will probably also want to change the defintion of
> CPP_ENDIAN_DEFAULT_SPEC to reflect this change.
>
> Also you ought to change the defintion of MULTILIB_DEFAULTS in
> gcc/config/arm/linux-elf.h again to reflect this change.

The ARM maintainers might want to think about providing support directly.
Looking at config.sub, it looks like armbe-* and armle-* specifically select
between big and little endian defaults.  I did a similar thing with the Powerpc
-- configuring powerpc-eabi selects the big endian as default, and configuring
powerpcle-eabi selects the little endian as default.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304

* Re: gcc for big-endian as default
@ 2000-08-02 12:44 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2000-08-02 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: naeem.m.afzal; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 18:43:07 -0700 , Afzal, Naeem M wrote:
>> How could I make gcc crosscompiler (ARM-LINUX) to compile with target
>> paltform as big-endian, so that when compiling with this compiler, I dont
>> have to use -mbig-endian every time.

Ask David Meng (david.meng@intel.com). He figured out how to build a
big-endian cross compiler for arm-linux and also posted the recipe to the
linux-arm mailing list.

Erik

--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/

* gcc for big-endian as default
@ 2000-08-01 18:43 Afzal, Naeem M
From: Afzal, Naeem M @ 2000-08-01 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)