* Re: Problem with alpha.c:print_operand
@ 2000-09-17 13:59 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2000-09-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: gcc

    The .vtable bits are going to fail on Alpha no matter what.
    You're just looking at the tip of the iceberg there.  The
    way they were implemented is a complete hack, and I'm sorry
    I never went back in to clean it up.

Nevertheless, don't you think it's a bad idea to use the same 'c' code
that final.c has builtin?

* Re: Problem with alpha.c:print_operand
@ 2000-09-17 14:24 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2000-09-17 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 04:59:40PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> Nevertheless, don't you think it's a bad idea to use the same 'c' code
> that final.c has builtin?

*shrug* For the cases it's used for (comparisons) we always go
through the output_operand path, which does exactly what we want.

You wrote that yourself ages and ages ago.

r~

* Re: Problem with alpha.c:print_operand
@ 2000-09-17 14:43 Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2000-09-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 05:38:23PM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     *shrug* For the cases it's used for (comparisons) we always go
>     through the output_operand path, which does exactly what we want.
>
> True, but I still don't like it.

So pick another upper/lower letter pair.  Perhaps G/g.
Not nearly as satisfying as C/c for "comparison", but
still functional.

r~

* Re: Problem with alpha.c:print_operand
@ 2000-09-17 14:39 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2000-09-17 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: gcc

    *shrug* For the cases it's used for (comparisons) we always go
    through the output_operand path, which does exactly what we want.

True, but I still don't like it.

    You wrote that yourself ages and ages ago.

I know.  I did some checking to see if I really did that at the time
that final.c also had a 'c'.  I can't believe I did, but I also can't
find any evidence that it was added later.

* Re: Problem with alpha.c:print_operand
@ 2000-09-17 12:53 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2000-09-17 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 10:11:15AM -0400, Richard Kenner wrote:
> It redefines code 'c', which is known to final.c.  This cause problems
> with a .vtable asm used by g++ and causes g++.other/crash18.C to fail
> on Alpha.

The .vtable bits are going to fail on Alpha no matter what.
You're just looking at the tip of the iceberg there.  The
way they were implemented is a complete hack, and I'm sorry
I never went back in to clean it up.

> Is anybody running "make check" on Alpha?

Of course.  I've just been ignoring some tests.  Mostly those
that also fail on other targets.

r~

* Problem with alpha.c:print_operand
@ 2000-09-17  7:11 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2000-09-17  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

It redefines code 'c', which is known to final.c.  This cause problems
with a .vtable asm used by g++ and causes g++.other/crash18.C to fail
on Alpha.

Is anybody running "make check" on Alpha?

I did to test out my changes and got numerous errors, all unrelated to
what I changed!