* GCC + Unixware 7.0.1
@ 2000-09-18 23:15 a.walter
From: a.walter @ 2000-09-18 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi everbody,

I'm a newbie in the gnu project an I hope someone can help me.
I download yesterday GCC  2.95,2 and I tried to compile the gcc
on UnixWare 7.0.1 on an Intel Pentium II  with the command
make boottrap .  I got the error message  undefined symbol
alloca in the file genattr.o

Has someone an idea how I can fix the problrm.

best regards
  Andreas Walter

* Re: GCC + Unixware 7.0.1
@ 2000-09-19  8:51 ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 2000-09-19  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: a.walter; +Cc: gcc

a.walter@dr-staedtler.de wrote:

> I'm a newbie in the gnu project an I hope someone can help me.
> I download yesterday GCC  2.95,2 and I tried to compile the gcc
> on UnixWare 7.0.1 on an Intel Pentium II  with the command
> make boottrap .  I got the error message  undefined symbol
> alloca in the file genattr.o

2.95.2 does bootstrap successfully on UnixWare 7.  The alloca problem
you describe is often a symptom of starting a bootstrap, aborting it for
whatever reason, then restarting it.  (GCC's bootstrap gets confused
about which compiler to use in this case.)  Is that a possibility in
your case?

A "sure fire" approach to solving this is to use
   CC="/bin/cc -O -Kalloca" /path/to/configure ; make bootstrap

The version of SCO's CC (with C99 support to be released Any Day Now)
automatically turns on -Kalloca when not generating code for strict ISO
conformance.

RJL