* Re: hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?
@ 2000-09-29 14:07 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-09-29 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brent, gcc

> From: brent@rcfile.org
> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:05:09 -0400
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org

>   if files (e.g., gcc/cp/decl.c) are modified, how can I avoid
>   bootstrapping to test any modifications?

I hardly ever bootstraped (or installed) as a developer.  If you have
installed a version that works that is close to the version your
using, you just rm cc1plus; make cc1plus and then make check-g++.

Ah, fond memories of the good old days.

* Re: hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?
@ 2000-09-30 15:55 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-09-30 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brent, dewar, gcc

> To: brent@rcfile.org, gcc@gcc.gnu.org, mrs@windriver.com
> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 08:24:51 -0400 (EDT)
> From: dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar)

> I would have thought that it was routine to do a bootstrap to test
> any modification that is made. Certainly in the GNAT world, we do
> both a bootstrap and our full regression run for even the simplest
> change.

That's because your frontend is written in the language of the
frontend.  By compiling it, you run a testcase, selfcompile.
If mine were in C++, it might make more sense.

If I had a sparc, and I was working on the sparc.md file, a full clean
botstrap would be good, as again, it is a good testcase.

Very few changes to the C++ frontend can show a difference between a
bootstrapped compiler and a non-bootstrapped.  Also, given an
infrastructure that runs beside you that does a full bootstrap and a
full test, there is really little need...  It's not that it wasn't
done, it just that I usually didn't do them.  Better to let cron waste
his time, more efficient for me.

* Re: hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?
@ 2000-09-30  5:26 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-09-30  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brent, gcc, mrs

<<I hardly ever bootstraped (or installed) as a developer

That seems a bit odd to me, though I am certainly am not very familiar
with working procedures. I would have thought that it was routine to

@ 2000-09-29 14:27 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2000-09-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brent, pedwards; +Cc: gcc

> From: brent@rcfile.org
> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:07:20 -0400
> To: Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com>
> Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org

> maybe just a list of tools that the pros use to get around the code,

The human brain (memory), emacs, grep, TAGS (M-.) and gdb account of 90% of
the way I get around.

> a document on how to use gdb to debug a compiler (admitting my lack
> of knowledge of gdb), or is the (apparent) lack of help significant
> of the lack of demand for this sort of info?

Run gdb in emacs, M-x gdb.  Set a breakpoint on expand_expr,
make_insn_raw, emit_insn and friends, and your off and running.  :-)
Neat variables are things like lineno, cur_insn_uid, INSN_UID (note),
current_function_decl.  Interesting things to call include,
p decl
pt
p x
pr
p insn
pr
call debug_rtx_list(insn, -50)
call debug_rtx_list(insn, 50)

neat debugger commands include:
x/10i $pc
si
ni
up
down
p variable
C-x space in file.c
M-n in debugger

Fun emacs commands:
M-x grep
M-x gdb
M-. (and M-,)
C-` (M-x next-error)
M-x compile

You wanna do up some documentation?  Start it, and others may tell you
even more useful and more interesting tricks of the trade.  The above
is a 5 second overview.

* hacking gcc - avoiding bootstrap?
@ 2000-09-29 13:01 brent
From: brent @ 2000-09-29 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

quick question:
  if files (e.g., gcc/cp/decl.c) are modified, how can I avoid
  bootstrapping to test any modifications?

thanks.
  brent

--
All opinions expressed are My own, unless otherwise attributed. In
presenting facts, I expressly reserve the right to be Wrong. Portions