* Re: Difference b/w FSF GCC and Apple GCC
@ 2000-10-11 21:53 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2000-10-11 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Mark F Rodriguez <macrod@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the GCC tools for Palm development but am having =
> problems with the tool chain determining the proper host type. I'm =
> wondering, if I replace the config files (configure, config.sub, etc.) =
> in the standard GCC distribution with the ones found on Apple's Darwin =
> site, will the proper bits be set to recognize the right host type -- =
> powerpc-apple-darwin1.2. Or should I be using something like =
> powerpc-unknown-bsd to get the compile to work for now? I already have =
> CC running on MacOS X so in theory the prc-tools-2.0 (i.e., the Palm =
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> development tools) should compile if I can get it to recognize the =
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> appropriate host type.
>
> I know eventually these settings will be part of the standard =
> distribution of the GCC tools, but for know I'd like to get it =
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> working... just because:-)

No. PRC-Tools are a complete and utter fork that has zero relationship to the
mainline GNU toolchain. We, the mainline toolchain developers, are developing
proper support for the PalmOS target in complete orthogonality to PRC-Tools
ever existing. This project is called IPGPE (IFCTF PalmOS GNU Programming
Environment). It has IFCTF in its name because currently the only toolchain
developers working on it are those from the IFCTF Embedded Systems Engineering
group. Other GNU developers are too busy with more important OSes. :-)

The current alpha version of IPGPE uses the official mainline versions of all
modules except gcc. The mainline gcc module will have PalmOS support added to
it by our group real real soon. But even what we have right now (only one
module is hacked) is still a vast improvement over PRC-Tools (hacks
*everywhere*, even in the top-level files).

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)

* Re: Difference b/w FSF GCC and Apple GCC
@ 2000-10-12 11:23 ` Mark F Rodriguez
From: Mark F Rodriguez @ 2000-10-12 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I was referring to GCC supporting Apple's Darwin and not the prc-tools. My
thought was to drop the config files from the GCC version available on
Apple's CVS server into the standard GCC version since Apple has the
"updated" config files necessary to define the host type --
powerpc-apple-darwin1.2. I'd use Apple's version of gcc to build the Palm
development tools but the prc-tools' patch scripts complain about missing
files since Apple seemed to exclude a lot, if not all, of the files
necessary for building a cross-compiler:-(

I'd rather look into this IPGPE project mentioned below as it seems like a
cleaner implementation. I'm afraid that even if I could get my hands on the
alpha (is there a link where I can check it out), I still would not be able
to compile since the gcc tools don't yet know how to handle Apple's new
OS... unless I can exchange Apple's config files included with the version
of gcc on their CVS server with the one I've downloaded from
http://gcc.gnu.org .

-Mark

@ 2000-10-12 11:59   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2000-10-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark F Rodriguez; +Cc: gcc

Mark> I'd rather look into this IPGPE project mentioned below as it seems like a
Mark> cleaner implementation. I'm afraid that even if I could get my hands on the
Mark> alpha (is there a link where I can check it out), I still would not be able
Mark> to compile since the gcc tools don't yet know how to handle Apple's new
Mark> OS... unless I can exchange Apple's config files included with the version
Mark> of gcc on their CVS server with the one I've downloaded from
Mark> http://gcc.gnu.org .

	Recognizing the target name is not sufficient.  Merging in the
"config" files themselves are a start, but they probably are not
compatible with the internal interface changes between egcs-1.1.2,
gcc-2.95.2, and the current development snapshots.

	Also, my understanding is that Apple made other pervasive changes
in the compiler to support Mach-O file format and other NeXT-isms.  Apple
is working to make those changes more modular so that they can be
contributed back to the mainline GCC development sources.

David

* Re: Difference b/w FSF GCC and Apple GCC
@ 2000-10-12 11:30 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2000-10-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Mark F Rodriguez <macrod@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'd rather look into this IPGPE project mentioned below as it seems like a
> cleaner implementation.
>
> [...]
>
> is there a link where I can check it out

ivan.Harhan.ORG:/pub/embedded/palmos/ipgpe-alpha

Not a link, but a UNIX hostname:pathname. I'm UNIX, not WWW.

--

@ 2000-10-11 21:36 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-10-11 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: macrod; +Cc: gcc

On Oct 12, 2000, Mark F Rodriguez <macrod@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I already have CC running on MacOS X so in theory the prc-tools-2.0
> (i.e., the Palm development tools) should compile if I can get it to
> recognize the appropriate host type.

Try to get newer versions of config.* from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/config
and drop them in prc-tools-2.0's source tree.

* Difference b/w FSF GCC and Apple GCC
@ 2000-10-11 21:32 Mark F Rodriguez
From: Mark F Rodriguez @ 2000-10-11 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc