* Re: Is this a gcc bug?
@ 2001-01-12 19:15 dewar
From: dewar @ 2001-01-12 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, fjh; +Cc: Anshil, aoliva, gcc

<<For the Mercury compiler, many error messages have two different forms,
one of which includes additional information such as hints about possible
causes of the error.  By default, the compiler prints the concise versions,
plus a line at the end of the compiler output saying "For more information,
recompile with `-E'", which is the compiler option to enable the more
verbose messages.  I think this is a good compromise.

But that's a response about verbosity, my question which I repeat:

> So the question is, should an error message like this try to educate,
> or just take the simple minded non-determinstic viewpoint.

is about point of view. These are orthogonal issues.