* Re: Mercury front-end
@ 2001-01-26  6:12 Geert Bosch
From: Geert Bosch @ 2001-01-26  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Henderson, gcc

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:27:52 +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:

  On 02-Jan-2001, Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:
  > I've implemented an initial version of a Mercury front-end for GCC.

  ... and it now bootstraps :->

A new GCC compiler is born! Congratulations! :-) Do you see any
difference in code generated with your new front-end versus the old
one, or do you get pretty much the same mapping as you did before?

  -Geert

* Re: Mercury front-end
@ 2001-01-03  3:36 Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2001-01-03  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fjh; +Cc: gcc

    My employer (The University of Melbourne) might perhaps have some
    claim on them.  I will probably be able to persuade them to sign a
    form either disclaiming ownership or assigning the rights to the FSF,
    for the C side of the changes.  For the Mercury side, and the existing
    Mercury compiler, that won't happen, since we (the Mercury group here)
    want the freedom to release the Mercury distribution under different
    licenses in future.

Note that you still have that freedom if you assign the copyright to
the FSF under the standard assignment agreement.

* Mercury front-end
@ 2001-01-01  6:51 Fergus Henderson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fergus Henderson @ 2001-01-01  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi all,

Happy new millenium.

I've implemented an initial version of a Mercury front-end for GCC.
I haven't tested it much yet, but (apart from bugs that I haven't
discovered yet ;-), it implements all the standard Mercury language
features.

The front-end consists of the existing Mercury compiler, which is over
200,000 lines of Mercury, plus about 4200 new lines of Mercury and
about 2000 lines of C, which hook it up to the GCC back-end
(rather than compiling to C, as the existing Mercury compiler does).

Now I'm wondering what the next step is.
I plan to post the diff to the mercury-developers mailing list sometime
soon, and eventually to include at least the Mercury side of the changes
in the Mercury distribution.  But I'm not quite sure what to do with
the C side of the changes.  Would it be appropriate to include them
in the standard GCC distribution?  Or would you prefer that we just
include them in the Mercury distribution?

WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >  |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.