* gcc-64 on HP-UX 11.00
@ 2002-04-04  2:03 H.Merijn Brand
       [not found] ` <200204041958.g34JwTbA011272@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
From: H.Merijn Brand @ 2002-04-04  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

As I've seen on the gcc web site, HP-UX 11.00 has been promoted to primary
target site. I've got no trouble building gcc in 32 bit mode, but building a
64bit gcc is still almost impossible.

Is there a preferred way to build from the latest snapshot? Do you want more
specific messages about the problems?

I'm not into the gcc sources, but somehow I seem to be willing to function as
a compile farm.

I've got

	The latest HP-UX 11.00 with the latest patches
	The latest C compiler (B.11.11.04 HP C/ANSI C Compiler)
	Several ports of gcc
		3.0.4/32
		3.0.1/64
		3.0.2/64
	binutils-2.11.90/64
	binutils-2.12/64

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.7.3 & 631 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2, AIX 4.3,

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-06-12 17:42 Robert Schweikert
From: Robert Schweikert @ 2001-06-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, mark

Mark Mitchell wrote:

>Looking Forward
>---------------
>
>I am beginning to think about GCC 3.0.1 and GCC 3.1.  It is my goal to
>get us, finally, on a regular schedule of quarterly major releases.  I
>will present my ideas for how to achieve this to the GCC Steering
>Committee this week or very early next week.  I anticipate that a
>decision will be made within a couple of weeks.

Great.

I have some code here that I would like to see in GCC, it allows the
reading of command line arguments from a file, there was a discussion
about this, inspired by me, a while back. I had posted this before but I
think it got lost in the certainly more important GCC-3.0 work. This is
a proposal and I am not sure where and how it should be integrated in
GCC but am willing to do the work if I can get some pointers and help on
where and how.

Mark I know you'll have your hands full the next few days but I would
certainly appreciate if you could keep this in mind for GCC-3.01 or
GCC-3.1

Thanks,
Robert

To use the example:

- compile parser.c (gcc -o parse parser.c)
- run it (parse -I. -L/usr -@myCmdFile.txt -o cute)

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
rjschwei@mindspring.com                         LINUX

[-- Attachment #2: parser.tgz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 896 bytes --]

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-06-11 21:48 Mark Mitchell
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-06-11 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Timing
------

There are 4 days until the scheduled release of GCC 3.0.

Announcement
------------

As of now, *all* non-documentation patches to the GCC 3.0 release
branch must be approved by me prior to check-in, without exception.
It would still be very helpful to me if the usual reviewers would
continue review the patches.  For example, if Alexandre would review a
configury change and say "this looks correct" that will make it much
easier for me to decide what to do.

As the week goes by, I will be less and less likely to approve
changes, especially changes whose impact is not confined to a single
target.  If a bug is theoretically cross-platform, but is only
actually showing up on one chip, we can use the `#if TARGET_FOO'
around the change in generic code in order to reduce the risk.
Obviously, this is not our normal practice, but it makes sense in this
timeframe.  It is my goal to have no check-ins after Wednesday -- but
of course the point of waiting until midnight Friday will be to see if
there is anything more we need to do.  Check-ins after Wednesday are
likely to result in a slip of our ship date.

Anyone who would normally be able to approve documentation patches may
continue to do so, through the end of 14th, GMT -0800.

If there are issues that you think absolutely must be fixed before the
release, but are not yet high-priority GNATS bugs, here is what you
should do:

  1. Make sure that the bug report is filed in GNATS.  I will not
     consider any item which does not have a GNATS report.

  2. Send me an email indicating why you think this is an
     absolutely critical bug.  It *must* be a regression from
     GCC 2.95, and it must affect users in a particularly dire
     way.

     Please explicitly name me in the `To' or `Cc' fields; there
     is so much list traffic that I might otherwise miss your
     message.

Prerelease
----------

I have created new prerelease tarballs.  Remember that the actual
release will be generated by the same script; these tarballs are
designed to perform all packaging functions that will be required for
GCC 3.0.  If you find problems with the packaging, please follow the
procedures above for reporting high-priority bugs.

The new prerelease tarballs are:

  ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/gcc-3.0-20010611.tar.gz

and the similarly-named language-specific tarballs.

Please try them out.

Overview
--------

I am tremendously pleased with the number of bug reports that have
been closed since last week.  There are now only 14 remaining open
high-priority PRs, down from 68 last week.

Obviously, we have had more upheaval over the weekend, particularly in
the C++ library, than would have been ideal.  This reflects the nature
of this release, i.e., that is a release of brand new technology,
including a brand new C++ library.  It is important that everyone
remember that this is a `.0' release, and as such we must all expect
more problems than in a release that contains fewer changes.  We will
have follow-on releases in short order to fix critical bugs.

At this point, I do not anticpate delaying the release of GCC 3.0.
There is a possibility that the release will be delayed, by a matter
of a few days.  The final go/no-go decision will be based on my
perception of where we are, how much more we could achieve with very
little work, and whether or not that work would likely be
destabilizing.

Looking Forward
---------------

I am beginning to think about GCC 3.0.1 and GCC 3.1.  It is my goal to
get us, finally, on a regular schedule of quarterly major releases.  I
will present my ideas for how to achieve this to the GCC Steering
Committee this week or very early next week.  I anticipate that a
decision will be made within a couple of weeks.

Issues
------

Here is a summary of the open issues.  If you can help with any of
these please do!

CNI: Using gcj's CNI requires an explict -I switch to the compiler.
     I downgraded this PR, since that seems to be the
     consensus.  This is not a showstopper: there is a simple
     workaround.

C++: There is an apparent strict-aliasing problem on Alpha.  I will
     try to track this down today.  PR 2758.

C++: Nathan is fixing/has fixed more problems in vtable layout.
     PR3089.

EH: Loren has patches to fix EH in the presence of threading that
    need to be moved from the mainline to the branch.  PR3082.

Reload: This is PR2876.  Bernd attempted to fix this, but the
        patch broke IRIX.  We should try again.

Configury: In-source builds do not work.  Tom, are you still working
	   on this?  If not, please let me know so that someone
	   else can take it over.

ARM: There are still multiple ARM regressions from GCC 2.95.  There
     is still time to fix them -- but we must act extremely quickly.
     These are bugs 3037, 3053, 2878, and 817.

H8:  PR2866 looks like it might have a very simple fix that would
     only require tweaking the H8 configuration file.

AIX: David has elected not to fix this bug for this release.
     Hopefully, it will be fixed in 3.0.1.  PR3042.

68K: Bootstrap problem.  PR1795.  If this is not fixed soon, it
     can wait for 3.0.1.

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-06-05 13:23 Mark Mitchell
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-06-05 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Benjamin Kosnik, Alexandre Petit-Bianco, Richard Henderson

[Note: if your name appears explicitly in the `Cc' list, there is an
       action item for you at the bottom of this report.]

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Timing
------

There are ten days until the release of GCC 3.0.

Major Annoucements
------------------

As announced in the May 21st Status Report, GNATS is now frozen.  No
new bugs can be made high priority without my express approval.  If
you wish to mark a bug high priority, you must first send me mail
explaining why fixing the bug is of *absolutely vital* import.  It
must not only be a regression from GCC 2.95 -- it must also be in some
way cataclysmic.  Failing to build the Linux kernel or the X server
for an x86 would be one example.  No optimization issue is likely to
qualify; correctness issues are probably the only likely candidates.
Crashing on illegal code for which we used to give an error mesage is
probably not a candidate.  Even failing to compile a correct, but
corner-case example, might not qualify.

Overview
--------

Unfortunately, there are many more high-priority bugs now than there
were a week ago.  I am saddenned that more of them have not been
fixed.  Many of these bugs are libstdc++ or Java bugs.  Those two
teams should focus on fixing or downgrading these bugs.  It is
important that I have an overview of what people are really trying to
fix, and what we are going to leave for another release.

The high number of open bugs, and the slow rate at which people are
fixing them, is going to force me to spend more time than I had hoped
on bug-fixing.  That means that I will have less time than I hoped for
packaging, documentation, release notes, etc.  If you are at all able
to contribute in those areas, please do so.  Gerald Pfeifer continues
to coordinate the documentation side of things.

Thanks to those who worked on the release script in my absence!  Since
there do not appear to be any packaging problem reports in GNATS, I
will assume that the tarballs work as advertised.  If you are not
contributing to the release in any other way, testing the prerelease
tarballs to make sure that they build and install is an easy and very
useful thing to do.

Fortunately, it looks like we were able to avoid testsuite regressions
for the last week, which is excellent news.

Action Items
------------

V3 Team, Java Team: Fix or downgrade V3 and Java issues.

RTH: Did we fix the ARM conditional-execution problem?
     Or should we go with the patch I proposed that you said disabled
     a lot of conditional-lifetime information?

Everyone else: Continue to fix high-priority bugs.
	       Application testing.
	       Documentation.

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-05-21 18:48 Mark Mitchell
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-05-21 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Timing
======

There are 25 days until the release of GCC 3.0.

Overview
========

Everyone worked very hard last week.  The new ABI-compliant exceptions
are working pretty smoothly at this point, and Richard Henderson is
helping people bang out the last few bugs and build failures.  Many
bugs were fixed.  There are presently about 30 high-priority bugs
reported, which is slightly down from last week.  The reason the
number isn't lower is that a few new regressions have been found
during the week.  Some of these bugs are Java bugs; it would be good
if the Java folks would try to close out some of these.

Bernd Schmidt helped me out by providing me the release script that he
has been using.  I am cleaning it up and tweaking it to make it
support the GCC 3.0 (and future) releases.  Bernd also fixed a
critical bug on the ARM.  Thank you Bernd!

At this point, my focus will be shifting from bug-fixing to packaging,
documentation, announcements, thank-yous and other similar issues.
That means that to make significant inroads against the open bugs,
other folks will have to step up and help.  There is one particularly
scary ARM bug where apparently GCC 3.0, once installed, cannot be used
to bootstrap itself.  I would definitely like to understand this
problem better.

Requests for Help
=================

Please fix high-priority bugs.

Please continue to report regressions, and to review bugs in GNATS.

Soon, I will make prerelease test tarballs available.  These should be
packaged in the same way as the actual release will be.  Please
download them and try them out.  The most likely failure modes will be
things like that you can't build with the "core" and "c++" modules,
but without the "fortran" module, for example, or that you need
`autofoo' installed.  The prerelease tarballs will be built by cron on
a nightly basis, and posted for testing.  I will post a separate
announcement later.

Please work on documentation for the release.  Are there caveats, news
items, etc. that people should no about?  Are there undocumented
command-line options for your target?  Are there people who should be
thanked for their contributions?  Please collect such information and
send it to our documentation mainatiner: Gerald Pfeifer
<pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>.  (Gerald, if you would like to handle the
collection of this information in a different way, please feel free to
make an alternate announcement.)  And Gerald, please add yourself to
the thank-you list for doing a fabulous job as the documentation
maintainer!

Schedule
========

Last week, I announced a June 15th release.  Once I get the release
script working, I will create a cronjob that will spin the release on
that date.  It will then require manual intervention to stop the
release from from happenning.

(This is like sending a `launch commit' message to a nuclear missile;
it will proceed automatically to its target, even if all power fails
and the base is overrun by invaders, unless the override code is
entered.  Make of that analogy what you will.)

Below is the schedule for between now and the release.  This schedule
is designed to make sure that we are in a position to make the release
on the target date, rather than to make sure that the release is 100%
perfect at that point.  This is the tradeoff that we need to make at
this point; we've worked very hard to improve the quality of the
branch, we will now be working hard to make sure that the world gets
to see what we have done.

  Week of May 21
  --------------

  - Prepare release script.

  - Prepare automated prerelease tarballs.

  - Continue to fix critical bugs.

  Week of May 28
  --------------

  - I will be on vacation, starting May 26th. I will be in a part of
    the world that basically does not have internet access, so I will
    be totally offline.  I apologize for the poor timing, but the trip
    has been planned for months.

  - Immediate reversion policy.

    From this point forward, any patch which causes any new testsuite
    or bootstrap failures on any of our primary or secondary targets
    may be summarily reverted, without discussion.  It is more
    important that the majority of targets continue to function, and
    that people continue to have the opportunity to test them, than
    that any particular bug gets fixed.  If your patch is reverted,
    you can resubmit it after you figure out how to fix the problem,
    but you must have the revised patch reviewed again.  Tickling a
    latent bug, etc., is no excuse.  Think like a user: if it
    used to work, and now it doesn't, you broke it.

    Jeffrey Oldham will monitor the various automated builds that are
    posted nightly on CodeSourcery's server.  If he observes
    regressions in these builds from the previous day's results, he
    will identify the offending patch and remove it, posting a message
    indicating that he has done so.

    Any maintainer may take similar action, if so motivated, so as to
    avoid waiting for Jeffrey.

  - Test prerelease tarballs.

  - Continue to fix critical bugs.

  - Application testing.

  Week of June 4
  --------------

  - GNATS freeze.

    No new bugs can be made high-priority after this date without
    my express approval, even if they are GCC 2.95 regressions.
    Please make every effort to review open bugs for your platform,
    and to perform application testing before this point.  Until
    this point, any maintainer can mark a bug high priority if it
    is a GCC 2.95 regression.

  - Continue to fix critical bugs.

  - Application testing.

  Week of June 11
  ---------------

  - Code freeze.

    No checkins will be allowed this week without my express
    approval.  Practically speaking, that means that we will be
    heavily bottlenecked at this point.  Please take advantage of
    the intervening time to work with all of the people who can
    approve patches to get your changes done.

  - Final documentation changes.

  - Final application testing.

  - Prepare release announcement.

  June 15th
  ---------

   - Release GCC 3.0.

Volunteer of the Week
=====================

This week's volunteer is one of the truly versatile GCC developers.
He is also one of the most active reviewers of other people's patches.
Equally at home inn the IA64 back-end, the x86 back-end, and any part
of the optimizers, he took on the task of implementing a superior,
industry-standard exception-handling model.  This new
exception-handling model improves the size and performance of C++ and
Java code substantially, and will eventually allow GDB to set
breakpoints on a `throw' and see where the eventual `catch' will be.

The GCC 3.0 Volunteer of the Week is ...

   ... Richard Henderson.

Congratulations!

* Re: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-05-17  2:29 Christian Iseli
From: Christian Iseli @ 2001-05-17  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

mark at codesourcery dot com said:
> Please try to test GCC on as much software as you can.  Build
> X windows.  Build the Linux kernel.  Run 'em.  File bugs in GNATS.

Ok, I had a go at it on my Linux/Athlon machine.  So far, I compiled the kernel
(2.4.4-ac9), glibc (2.2.3 from CVS), and XFree86 (4.0.99.4 from CVS) and
installed them.  All was compiled using -O2 -march=athlon, and all seems to
work fine :)

My only issue has been reported in GNATS: c/2728.  It might be due to the
inliner, but that's just a wild guess...  For some reason, the Priority is not
marked high, though.

Haven't tried Qt and KDE yet...

Things are looking quite good.

Cheers,
					Christian

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-05-14 14:28 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-05-14 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Overall
-------

  The last major piece of functionality for the release (the
  new ABI-compliant exception-handling model) has been installed.
  Accompanying this are improvements to the C++ standard library
  to work with the new model.  Thanks to Richard Henderson
  and Benjamin Kosnik for implementing these changes.

  We are getting close to zero unexpected FAILs in the testsuites
  on many major platforms.  We will achieve this goal soon.  I have
  fixed many, many bugs in the last week or so, and disabled some
  tests that do not represent regressions.

  If you are a platform maintainer/tester, and you know of a bug that
  you believe is essential for the release -- in other words, that is
  is a regresssion from GCC 2.95.x -- please make sure it is in GNATS
  and marked "high" priority.  Remember that the criteria here is a
  *regression*.  At this point, if it is broken with GCC 2.95.x and
  not already fixed, it is going to stay broken.  It would take an
  earth-shatterring bug of doom to make me think otherwise.

  Please do not send me your list of bugs directly.  Put them in
  GNATS; that is what it is for.  If you send them to me, I will
  likely delete them.  Then, I will deny every having received
  them. :-)

Schedule
--------

  I will be on vacation May 25th through June 2nd.  I was hoping
  to make the release before May 25th.  Now, I hope to make a test
  release before I go.

  At this point, I am finally willing to set a schedule.

  Previously, I believed that we should wait until certain functional
  criteria were met.  We are now very close to those requirements.
  And, time *does* matter; there really is value in getting this beast
  out the door.

  Therefore, we're now going to pretend that the company has told us
  that we must ship by a certain date, or the copmany will be unable
  to raise additional financing, that we will be summarily fired
  without severance, and that all of our stock options will be
  worthless.  If you've worked at a dot-bomb recently, this should
  sound familiar.

  The release will be made on or before 11:59PM GMT -8 (Pacific
  Daylight Time) June 15th, 2001 A.D.  Because otherwise I will
  commit suicide at 12:00 AM on June 16th, and you will all feel
  very, very bad.

Requests for Help
-----------------

  Is there anyone willing to work on the release script?  This
  script builds a tarball from what's in CVS, but also needs to
  add generated files not in CVS (e.g., `parse.y').  We need to
  test that the generated tarball actually works.  This is a
  classic release engineering task.  It would be very helpful to
  me if someone who is skilled in this area would step forward,
  thereby freeing me up to continue fixing bugs.

  Please track down GNATS bugs that apply to your targets,
  front-ends, etc.  Fix 'em, post 'em, check 'em in.

  Please try to test GCC on as much software as you can.  Build
  X windows.  Build the Linux kernel.  Run 'em.  File bugs in GNATS.

  Repeat.

Volunteer of The Week
---------------------

  This weeks winner is tireless in his efforts to clean up
  crufty old bits of GCC.  Always willing to look for away to
  avoid the "expedient hack", he has often gone where angels, and
  even fools, fear to tread.  Recently, he's tackled issues
  involving crufty old headers installed by GCC, ancient Makefile
  ugliness, and ancient configury ugliness.  Someday, I fully
  expect that he will the README.ALTOS and README.ACORN from the
  GCC directory itself.

  All of this effort will make the GCC 3.1, and every release
  thereafter, easier -- so our Volunteer of the Week is ...

  ... Zack Weinberg!

  Congratulations.

* Re: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-05-02 16:09 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2001-05-02 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbuck; +Cc: gcc, mark

> From: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM>
> To: mrs@windriver.com (Mike Stump)
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 03:14:14 -0700 (PDT)

> The answer to your question is that there is no abi compatibility
> for the library, only for the compiler.

Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation.  I understand the difference, I
just hope that we communicate it with folks.  From
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/criteria.html:

C++ ABI

     In order to avoid changing the C++ ABI from release to release,
     as GCC has done to date, there must be a stable ABI.

C++ Standard Library

     The standard library is a part of the ABI. Changing the standard
     library interfaces is effectively a change in the ABI. It is
     important that we provide a standards-conforming C++ standard
     library.

It seems to want to lump the library ABI in with the compiler one.
This could lead to confusion, though, since it doesn't say anything
much, it isn't wrong.

* Re: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-05-01 18:56 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2001-05-01 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, mark

> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
> Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 17:22:17 -0700

>   We are coming down the home stretch.

I have a random stupid question of the day...  Is it really the case
that there are no inlines anywhere in any of the C++ library that
might be taken advantage of by the user, or that any such inlines only
rely upon abi mandated things?

Failure to understand that question, means, we cannot claim C++ abi
compatibility.

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-05-01 17:22 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-05-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Overall
-------

  We are coming down the home stretch.  The only major bit of
  work remaining is the merge of Richard/Benjamin's EH/library
  bits to the branch.  Richard, Benjamin, when can we expect
  this?

  Other than that, we just need to keep squishing bugs.  We got
  a lot of regressions fixed last week, and there will be more of
  that this week.  For the most part, we're getting successful
  bootstraps on a wide variety of platforms and the stability on
  the branch seems to be improving.

  I would like to prepare a test release in the next week or two
  for wider distribution.

Helping Out
-----------

  Lots of people are reporting problems, and there are still
  outstanding high-priority bugs in GNATS.  It would be good
  if people with particular knowledge of particular platforms
  could pitch in to solve problems.  It's difficult for me to
  try to learn whole new architectures just to fix a bug or
  two.

  Please try to focus on the branch, and not on mainline
  development.

* Re: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-04-19 23:33 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-04-19 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave, mark; +Cc: chastain, gcc-patches, gcc, law, libstdc++

Works for me on native solaris.  Good job!  PR libstdc++/2445 can be
closed now.

Michael Chastain

* Re: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-04-19 13:27 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-04-19 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chastain, dave; +Cc: gcc-patches, gcc, law, libstdc++, mark

> I have checked that `namespace std { extern "C" int errno; }' is not
> mangled under hpux and I don't see any regressions of the libstdc++
> or g++ testsuite under i686 linux.

Note that libstdc++ on i686 linux doesn't show the original bug,
because errno is a macro on that platform, and the expansion of
that macro uses a function and not a data symbol:

  #define errno (*__errno_location ())

The automated regression checker has native linux and I think that's
why it didn't catch this bug.

The g++ testsuite on native solaris is good for seeing the bug.
I have "std::errno" errors in tests like g++.benjamin/15071.C and
g++.brendan/copy9.C.

Michael

[parent not found: <200104182009.NAA09066@bosch.cygnus.com>]
* Re: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-04-18 12:34 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-04-18 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: dave.anglin, gcc

Hi Jeff,

I picked up a fragment of a message that looks like it came from you:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-04/msg00874.html
> The most common problem I see is due to the std::errno failures.  So if
> someone has a workaround/fix for that I would greatly appreciate a copy.

I analyzed this and found the patch fragment that broke it.
See PR libstdc++/2445 for the whole story.  Here's some URL's:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-prs/2001-04/msg00272.html
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-prs/2001-04/msg00273.html

If I am misreading the gcc mailing list archive and you're not
the guy quoted above, my apologies.

(I'm frustrated because I keep seeing people reporting this bug, and I
know what the problem is, but my PR and my mail to gcc@gcc.gnu.org are
lost in the noise).

Michael

[parent not found: <1654.987568477@slagheap.cygnus.com>]
* Re: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-04-17 16:13 John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2001-04-17 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2001-04-17 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, mark

Hi GCC hackers,

I have some insight on a libstdc++ V3 problem that's been hitting hpux
and irix and solaris (the std::errno problem).  I wrote a long analysis
in PR libstdc++/2445.

I think the problem is in the attached patch fragment which was committed
on 2001-03-20.  It handles function names, and it handles global data
names, but it doesn't handle extern "C" data names within namespaces.
So this construct fails:

  namespace std { extern "C" int errno; }

The "errno" name shouldn't get mangled, but it does.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<chastain@redhat.com>
"love without fear"

===

diff -u -r -N 2001-03-20-14-00-00/source/gcc/cp/mangle.c 2001-03-20-14-05-00/source/gcc/cp/mangle.c
--- 2001-03-20-14-00-00/source/gcc/cp/mangle.c	Thu Feb 22 13:37:39 2001
+++ 2001-03-20-14-05-00/source/gcc/cp/mangle.c	Tue Mar 20 14:03:45 2001
@@ -2069,6 +2069,17 @@

   if (TREE_CODE (decl) == TYPE_DECL)
     write_type (TREE_TYPE (decl));
+  else if (/* The names of `extern "C"' functions are not mangled.  */
+	   (TREE_CODE (decl) == FUNCTION_DECL
+	    /* If there's no DECL_LANG_SPECIFIC, it's a function built
+	       by language-independent code, which never builds
+	       functions with C++ linkage.  */
+	    && (!DECL_LANG_SPECIFIC (decl)
+		|| DECL_EXTERN_C_FUNCTION_P (decl)))
+	   /* The names of global variables aren't mangled either.  */
+	   || (TREE_CODE (decl) == VAR_DECL
+	       && CP_DECL_CONTEXT (decl) == global_namespace))
+    write_string (IDENTIFIER_POINTER (DECL_NAME (decl)));
   else
     {
       write_mangled_name (decl);

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-04-17  0:32 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-04-17  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Last Week
=========

Jeff Law reported some initial success building GCC 3.0 on HPUX.  The
compiler is now bootstrapping, but libstdc++ V3 is still not working.
If you can help out with the debugging task (either because you're a
PA expert or a V3 expert or a general GCC expert), please do so.  The
best way to help is probably to contact Jeff Law (law@redhat.com)
directly.

Many bugs were fixed by a wide variety of people.

I closed about 25 high-priority bug reports in GNATS, many of which
represented regressions from GCC 2.95.x.  Others represented bugs that
were already fixed, or that were not really bugs.

Jeffrey Oldham began looking into problems (again!) with building GCC
3.0 on IRIX.  Apparently, some change somewhere has caused us to
exceed static limits in the IRIX linker when building libstdc++ V3.
This may require libtool modifications to fix.

Next Week
=========

More of the same, mostly.

We are making relatively good progress at this point; stabilization
seems to be occurring.

Kudos
=====

For working hard on fixing IA64 bugs , and for lending a hand with a
number of tricky issues, including DWARF2 debugging and obscure
historical artifcats of GCC, this week's GCC 3.0 Volunter of the Week
is ...

  ... Jim Wilson!

Congratulations!

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-04-03 10:38 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-04-03 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Not too much happenned last week.

I moved from near Palo Alto, CA to near Sacramento, CA, so I saw a lot
more of Pottery Barn than I did of GCC.  Pottery Barn definitely has
better lighting. :-)

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Overall
-------

  If people would begin building commonly used programs (XWindows,
  Emacs, etc.) with the GCC 3.0 branch and reporting any problems,
  that would be great.  I will set up a more formal mechanism for that
  shortly.

  Bug-fixing continues on the branch.

  Although not directly related to the release, Jeffrey Oldham
  collected some interesting statistics about how often GCC has failed
  to bootstrap recently.  There was some interesting follow-on
  discussion.

Last Week
---------

  Neil Booth merged over some preprocessor improvements, which
  are expected to be the last major preprocessor changes before
  the release.

  Many other people contributed miscellaneous bug fixes.

Next Week
---------

  More bug fixing.  Hopefully prepare test kits.

  Application testing.

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-03-27  8:55 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-03-27  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Only one day late this week...

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Overall
-------

  Relatively little happenned.  In a way, this is a good thing; I
  think we are getting close to having most of the major bug
  fixes incorporated that we will need.

  Application testing should become the major focus at this point.

Last Week
---------

  Jason Merill cleaned up some issues involving `.' and `$' in
  identifiers.

  I checked in various patches to improve compile-time time and
  space usage in C++, including lazy name-mangling and throttling
  of the tree-based inliner.

  Jim Wilson and Jakub Jelinek cleaned up after me when I broke
  things.

Kudos
-----

  For volunteering to track down an obscure bug, and succeeding in
  doing so, despite my fervent attempts to lead him down a wrong
  path, the GCC 3.0 Volunteer of the Week is ...

    ... Richard Kenner!

  Congratulations!

Next Week
---------

  Application testing.

  Fix critical bugs.

* RE: GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-03-20  4:18 Peter Bienstman
From: Peter Bienstman @ 2001-03-20  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, mark

>Last Week
>---------
>
>  Analysis of open bugs is largely complete.  Many of the remainder
>  are hard to analyze due to being target-specific in various ways.

Strange, GNATS still lists almost 600 bug reports in the 'open' state, i.e.
not analysed by anyone.

Are these reports that people have looked at, but forgot to put in the
'analysed' state?

Peter

* GCC 3.0 Status Report
@ 2001-03-19 12:23 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-03-19 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I was flaky with the weekly status report over the last couple of
weeks, but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf.

GCC 3.0 Status Report
=====================

Overall
-------

  The Steering Committee has concluded that the release criteria
  are somewhat over-ambitious given the lack of resources available
  to complete some of the tasks.

  Therefore, the GCC 3.0 release will be largely a functionality
  release, featuring the rewritten x86 back-end, improved Java
  compiler, new C++ ABI, and new C++ standard library.  Stability
  will remain a focus, but quality of the generated code will
  become a secondary priority.  This withstanding, we believe that
  GCC 3.0 will generate better code than GCC 2.95.x in many
  circumstances.

  In the short term, we will focus on compile-time performance,
  especially in C++.  At that point, application testing will
  become the major focus.  Performance of the generated code
  will be a greater focus of the 3.1 release.

Last Week
---------

  Analysis of open bugs is largely complete.  Many of the remainder
  are hard to analyze due to being target-specific in various ways.

  Richard Henderson provided a number of DWARF2 fixes and
  improvements.  Zack Weinberg checked in a number of cleanups
  to simply configuration.

  I began working on a variety of compile-time performance
  optimizations.  One of the lowest-hanging pieces of fruit appears
  to be lazy name-mangling in C++.  I've got that working and will
  check it in soon.  Preliminary work on this project broke the ARM
  bootstrap.  This turned out to be a generic optimization bug; it
  is now fixed.

  Numerous other bugs fixed.

Kudos
-----

  For his continuing work on the GCC 3.0 documentation and web-site,
  the GCC 3.0 Volunteer of the Week is ...

    ... Gerald Pfeifer!

  Congratulations!

Next Week
---------