* gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-05-08  7:59 Franco Vaccari
From: Franco Vaccari @ 2001-05-08  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I don't see Mac OS X under the systems supported for gcc installation. I
just failed after specifying:

configure powerpc
make bootstrap

Any suggestion or comment?

Thanks

Franco

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-05-09 14:11 ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2001-05-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Franco Vaccari; +Cc: gcc

Franco Vaccari wrote:

> I don't see Mac OS X under the systems supported for gcc installation.

Good point, I guess I should write up a bit of doc.

> I just failed after specifying:
>
> configure powerpc
> make bootstrap
>
> Any suggestion or comment?

Just do "./configure".  The full triplet is powerpc-apple-darwin-1.3,
a target named just "powerpc" doesn't expand into anything you can use.

Also, you need to be using the latest code from CVS, not snapshots
or 3.0 branch.

Stan

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-05-09 14:28   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2001-05-09 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: Franco Vaccari, gcc

Stan Shebs writes:

> Good point, I guess I should write up a bit of doc.
> Also, you need to be using the latest code from CVS, not snapshots
> or 3.0 branch.

At the risk of dumping more stuff on Mark:

any plans to move this to 3.0, or is it for 3.1?

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-05-09 14:40     ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2001-05-09 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Franco Vaccari, gcc

Joe Buck wrote:

> any plans to move this to 3.0, or is it for 3.1?

Since it doesn't fix a regression, and wasn't a required feature
for 3.0, I didn't want to add any code that might crumble the
branch for rs6000 configs.  Anyway, the Darwin port still has
bugs, for instance a serious one in g77, and the trunk has some
ObjC-related changes that are necessary to make the compiler useful
for actual OS X programming.

So I'd rather see us get 3.0 out the door, not worry about OS X at
all, and get started sooner on making 3.1 a great compiler for Macs.

Stan

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-05-09 14:44   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-05-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: Franco Vaccari, gcc

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Stan Shebs wrote:
>> I don't see Mac OS X under the systems supported for gcc installation.
> Good point, I guess I should write up a bit of doc.

Please wait a bit -- wwwdocs/htdocs/install is frozen right now, but
we're working on adding the new version in texinfo format, so it's
better to wait a week or so until we have that in the tree.

Gerald

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-05-09 14:53     ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2001-05-09 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Stan Shebs wrote:
> >> I don't see Mac OS X under the systems supported for gcc installation.
> > Good point, I guess I should write up a bit of doc.
>
> Please wait a bit -- wwwdocs/htdocs/install is frozen right now, but
> we're working on adding the new version in texinfo format, so it's
> better to wait a week or so until we have that in the tree.

No prob, it's not a big rush.

Stan

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-08-31 23:43       ` Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2001-08-31 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: gcc

Stan Shebs wrote:

> I was making a feeble joke.  The FSF CVS sources are supposed to
> stay in a working state, but in practice, builds break on one or
> another platform regularly.  I generally try a bootstrap on the
> sources every 2-3 days, in hopes of catching bad checkins quickly;

I do it daily if possible. My Powerbook can also work when I have a
meeting which I have quite often :-)

> eventually I want to have an Apple machine reporting results to
> gcc-testresults.

Does it make sense to post daily results to gcc-testresults with a
derived gnu-gcc branch or should it be apple or you to report these results?

> I don't know if this is what the GCC bigshots do, but this is the
> kind of thing that works for me.

Thanks for the advice, at least a way to track down some oddities.

CHeers,
Andreas

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-08-31 14:28     ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2001-08-31 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toa; +Cc: Aurelien, gcc

Andreas Tobler wrote:

> Stan Shebs wrote:
>
> > Yes, Apple's cc is based on 2.95.2, but we're working on getting
> > what will be 3.1 working, in expectation of using it in a future
> > release of Mac OS X.  The basic compiler, as checked out from the
> > FSF sources, works now (modulo bootstrap-breaking checkins), and
>
> IOW, still not possible to bootstrap? Well, I wasn't until thiss evening MEST.

I was making a feeble joke.  The FSF CVS sources are supposed to
stay in a working state, but in practice, builds break on one or
another platform regularly.  I generally try a bootstrap on the
sources every 2-3 days, in hopes of catching bad checkins quickly;
eventually I want to have an Apple machine reporting results to
gcc-testresults.

> I ask again, maybe a person reading this on gcc could help.
>
> How is it possible to use gdb to track down gcc bootstrap errors?
> Is there a how to around? I searched the gcc side with no luck.

There's no single way to do it, depends on the kind of failure that
occurs.  For instance, an internal compiler error (ICE) is simple
to pinpoint, I just cut-n-paste the compile command that failed,
then rerun with -save-temps and -v added.  Then I can do "gdb cc1"
(or whichever executable is failing), cut-n-pasting the cc1 args
into the "run" command.  Once you've stopped somewhere in GCC, you
can call the functions debug_tree() and debug_rtx() to print out
trees and RTL.

On the other hand, compare failures are hard, because there's
no single failure point.  With some dinking with -save-temps,
you can collect the assembly for a file that is different between
stage 2 and 3, then diff the assembly files.  After that it's
guesswork to find a GCC routine associated with the differences
in the assembly code.  The -da option to dump intermediate
results can be helpful to identify an optimization phase where
the two stages diverge from each other.

@ 2001-08-31 13:53     ` Dale Johannesen
From: Dale Johannesen @ 2001-08-31 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toa; +Cc: Stan Shebs, Aurelien, gcc

On Friday, August 31, 2001, at 01:46 PM, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> Stan Shebs wrote:
>
>> Yes, Apple's cc is based on 2.95.2, but we're working on getting
>> what will be 3.1 working, in expectation of using it in a future
>> release of Mac OS X.  The basic compiler, as checked out from the
>> FSF sources, works now (modulo bootstrap-breaking checkins), and
>
> IOW, still not possible to bootstrap? Well, I wasn't until thiss evening
> MEST.

I fixed the bug about 10 minutes ago.  It will bootstrap now.

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-08-31 13:47   ` Andreas Tobler
From: Andreas Tobler @ 2001-08-31 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stan Shebs; +Cc: Aurelien, gcc

Stan Shebs wrote:

> Yes, Apple's cc is based on 2.95.2, but we're working on getting
> what will be 3.1 working, in expectation of using it in a future
> release of Mac OS X.  The basic compiler, as checked out from the
> FSF sources, works now (modulo bootstrap-breaking checkins), and

IOW, still not possible to bootstrap? Well, I wasn't until thiss evening MEST.

I ask again, maybe a person reading this on gcc could help.

How is it possible to use gdb to track down gcc bootstrap errors?
Is there a how to around? I searched the gcc side with no luck.

I really appreciate a pointer to if there is one :-)
No, I don't have much experience with gdb, but I can read!

Thank you in advance,
CHeers,
Andreas

* Re: gcc on Mac OS X
       [not found] <200108311422.f7VEMSg27675@mail-in1.apple.com>
@ 2001-08-31  9:51 ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2001-08-31  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien; +Cc: gcc

Aurelien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have successfully used GCC 3.1 on Linux to compile a set of
> objective-c classes that do not compile with Apple's CC (they use
> forward references to protocol and I do need that !). Since cc is
> Apple's gcc, I'd not be surprised if gcc worked in Apple world.

(I thought we discussed this on the GNUstep list already)

Yes, Apple's cc is based on 2.95.2, but we're working on getting
what will be 3.1 working, in expectation of using it in a future
release of Mac OS X.  The basic compiler, as checked out from the
FSF sources, works now (modulo bootstrap-breaking checkins), and
Apple's version has additional bits that are handy for Mac programs
but not essential for GNUstep (I think).

Stan

* gcc on Mac OS X
@ 2001-08-31  7:22 Aurelien
From: Aurelien @ 2001-08-31  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)