* Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-08 11:02 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-05-08 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, shebs, ovidiu

At present, libobjc/objc-features.texi is a standalone manual with just
one chapter.  It has its own copy of the GFDL - slightly different from
gcc/fdl.texi, which doesn't really work well with update_web_docs since
that script presumes .texi file names are unique throughout the tree.
The printed version doesn't have a proper title page etc..  The info
version doesn't get installed by make install.

I think this manual would make more sense moved to the gcc directory and
included as a chapter of the main GCC manual.  What do other people think?
If it's agreed that this would be a good idea, I'll produce a patch.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-09  0:09 ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2001-05-09  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: gcc, shebs

On Tue, 8 May 2001 19:01:51 +0100 (BST), "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> At present, libobjc/objc-features.texi is a standalone manual with just
> one chapter.  It has its own copy of the GFDL - slightly different from
> gcc/fdl.texi, which doesn't really work well with update_web_docs since
> that script presumes .texi file names are unique throughout the tree.
> The printed version doesn't have a proper title page etc..  The info
> version doesn't get installed by make install.
>
> I think this manual would make more sense moved to the gcc directory and
> included as a chapter of the main GCC manual.  What do other people think?
> If it's agreed that this would be a good idea, I'll produce a patch.

I have nothing against including the file as a chapter in the GCC
manual.

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>

* Re: Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-09  3:04   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-05-09  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ovidiu Predescu; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, gcc, shebs

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> I have nothing against including the file as a chapter in the GCC
> manual.

Then, go for it Joseph! ;)  (Pre-approved.)

Thanks,
Gerald

* Re: Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-09  5:54     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-05-09  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Ovidiu Predescu, gcc, shebs

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> > I have nothing against including the file as a chapter in the GCC
> > manual.
>
> Then, go for it Joseph! ;)  (Pre-approved.)

For both mainline and branch?

--

@ 2001-05-09  6:38       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-05-09  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Ovidiu Predescu, gcc, shebs

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>> Then, go for it Joseph! ;)  (Pre-approved.)
> For both mainline and branch?

Yes, please.  Unless Mark tells me otherwise, I think we can (and should)
be rather liberal with doc updates on the branch.

Gerald

* Re: Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-09  9:25         ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2001-05-09  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: Joseph S. Myers, Ovidiu Predescu, gcc, shebs

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> >> Then, go for it Joseph! ;)  (Pre-approved.)
> > For both mainline and branch?
>
> Yes, please.  Unless Mark tells me otherwise, I think we can (and should)
> be rather liberal with doc updates on the branch.

Yes, doc updates are unlikely to cause regressions.  Though it would be
nice to make sure not to document things in the branch that are only
checked into the mainline. :-)

* Re: Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-09 11:52           ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-05-09 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, Ovidiu Predescu, gcc, shebs

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Joe Buck wrote:

> Yes, doc updates are unlikely to cause regressions.  Though it would be
> nice to make sure not to document things in the branch that are only
> checked into the mainline. :-)

That's why I didn't simply copy the mainline objc.texi to the branch -
since I don't know whether @compatibility_alias is a feature present and
working on the branch.  If it is, the docs may as well be merged.

--

@ 2001-05-09 12:52 ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 2001-05-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: gcc, ovidiu

"Joseph S. Myers" wrote:

> I think this manual would make more sense moved to the gcc directory and
> included as a chapter of the main GCC manual.  What do other people think?
> If it's agreed that this would be a good idea, I'll produce a patch.

That'll teach me not to go to all-day meetings. :-)  I was thinking
about whether it made more sense as a manual chapter or as its own
doc, but I see that the decision has been made for me!  I'm OK with
the change though, for both trunk and 3.0 branch.

Stan

* Re: Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-10 12:30         ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-05-10 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: jsm28, ovidiu, gcc, shebs

    Gerald> Yes, please.  Unless Mark tells me otherwise, I think we
    Gerald> can (and should) be rather liberal with doc updates on the
    Gerald> branch.

Yes, that's fine.

* Re: Objective C features manual
@ 2001-05-11 11:26             ` Ovidiu Predescu
From: Ovidiu Predescu @ 2001-05-11 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: Joe Buck, Gerald Pfeifer, gcc, shebs

On Wed, 9 May 2001 19:44:43 +0100 (BST), "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Joe Buck wrote:
>
> > Yes, doc updates are unlikely to cause regressions.  Though it would be
> > nice to make sure not to document things in the branch that are only
> > checked into the mainline. :-)
>
> That's why I didn't simply copy the mainline objc.texi to the branch -
> since I don't know whether @compatibility_alias is a feature present and
> working on the branch.  If it is, the docs may as well be merged.

This feature is in the compiler for a long time, it's just that it
wasn't documented until recently. I think the two documents can be
identical on the mainline and on the branch.

Ovidiu