* standards for include guards?
@ 2001-05-17  7:43 Sam TH
From: Sam TH @ 2001-05-17  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Without getting into a discussion on the merits of include guards in
GCC, is there some standard for naming such guards?  With the help of
grep, I have found:

 _FILENAME_EXT
 GCC_FILENAME_EXT
 __GCC_FILENAME_EXT__
 _GCC_FILENAME_EXT
 __FILENAME_EXT__
 __filename_ext
 FILENAME_EXT_INCLUDED
 FILENAME_EXT
 _FILENAME_EXT_
 JV_FILENAME_EXT (in java/)
 _DIR_FILENAME_EXT
 _H_f_filename (in f/)

Then, the weird ones:
java/parse.h: JV_LANG_H
gstab.h: __GNU_STAB__
glimits.h: __LIMITS_H_

Maybe something should be picked?

sam th --- sam@uchicago.edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss

--

* Re: standards for include guards?
@ 2001-05-17  8:45 ` Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson @ 2001-05-17  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam TH, gcc

On 17-May-2001, Sam TH <sam@uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Without getting into a discussion on the merits of include guards in
> GCC, is there some standard for naming such guards?

This was discussed on gcc-patches a month or so ago, IIRC.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find it via the search page.

> With the help of
> grep, I have found:
>
>  _FILENAME_EXT
>  GCC_FILENAME_EXT
>  __GCC_FILENAME_EXT__
>  _GCC_FILENAME_EXT
>  __FILENAME_EXT__
>  __filename_ext
>  FILENAME_EXT_INCLUDED
>  FILENAME_EXT
>  _FILENAME_EXT_
>  JV_FILENAME_EXT (in java/)
>  _DIR_FILENAME_EXT
>  _H_f_filename (in f/)

Names starting with `__' or `_[A-Z]' are reserved for use by the C
implementation.  Standard library header files, and files which
are included in standard library header files, should use such names.
Other header files which are merely used in gcc (e.g. tree.h) should not.

I *think* the convention agreed on earlier was GCC_FILENAME_EXT.

                                    |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
WWW: < http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh >  |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.

* Re: standards for include guards?
@ 2001-05-17  9:26 ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-05-17  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam; +Cc: gcc

We should use this one:

 GCC_FILENAME_EXT

Anything starting with an `_' is invalid for use in user code.
Anything not starting with `GCC' is likely-ish to be used somewhere
else.

* Re: standards for include guards?
@ 2001-05-17 11:27   ` Sam TH
From: Sam TH @ 2001-05-17 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:24:33AM -0700, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> We should use this one:
>
>  GCC_FILENAME_EXT
>
> Anything starting with an `_' is invalid for use in user code.
> Anything not starting with `GCC' is likely-ish to be used somewhere
> else.

I can work up a patch for this, but I don't have a copyright
assignment on file, so if someone else wants to, feel free.