* Installation Problems
@ 2001-07-15  8:17 Benjamin Esham
From: Benjamin Esham @ 2001-07-15  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am trying to build GCC on my MacOSX computer
(powerpc-apple-darwin1.2), but after I run
gcc-3.0/configure (is that even the correct program?),
it informs me that there is no acceptable cc in $PATH.
 Where can I find whatever files I need to be able to
build GCC correctly?  Many thanks if you can help at
all.

I am sorry if most of this message doesn't make sense,
I am only experienced with the simpler UNIX commands,
and have little or no clue about what is going on for
the GCC building process.  I also apologize if this
message should have been sent to another address.

=====
Benjamin Esham
bdesham@iname.com
http://www.bdesham.net/

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

* Re: Installation Problems
@ 2001-07-27  1:53 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-07-27  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdesham; +Cc: gcc

On Jul 15, 2001, Benjamin Esham <scesar_tkrotw@yahoo.com> wrote:

> it informs me that there is no acceptable cc in $PATH.

Yep, you need a working compiler to build any program, even GCC
itself.  If you don't have one, you'll have to download a pre-compiled
compiler.  In general, we'd recommend you to use it to build your own
compiler, but since support for Darwin hasn't been contributed in time
for GCC 3.0, you'll probably be better off with the binaries (and
sources) made available by Apple.

* Re: Installation Problems..
@ 2004-05-21  4:30 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2004-05-21  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ARUN Sundararaman; +Cc: gcc

ARUN Sundararaman <arun@ele.uri.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a MacOS X.2. I need to install a C/C++ environment/compiler for working
> in my project work.
> What is the detailed procedure fo doing so.? Please do lemme know step by step.

First, see the apple developer web pages. I think here:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/ and scroll down to where it
    talks about project builder 2.1 and you can get a compiler, an
    apple derivative of gcc 3.1, as a compilied binary.

Once you have a compiler, then you can follow the instructions at
    gcc.gnu.org/install to obtain FSF gcc, configure it, and build it
    from source. (note - you won't ordinarily need both apple gcc and
    FSF gcc.)

* Installation Problems..
@ 2004-05-20 20:26 ARUN Sundararaman
From: ARUN Sundararaman @ 2004-05-20 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I have a MacOS X.2. I need to install a C/C++ environment/compiler for working
in my project work.
What is the detailed procedure fo doing so.? Please do lemme know step by step.

Thanxs
Bye
Arun

* Re: Installation problems
@ 2001-10-31  5:31 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-10-31  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad Valmeti, gcc

gcc.gnu.org includes links to the most important sites for looking up
this information.  People have been building gcc-3.0.2 and 3.1 from
source successfully with few adjustments to a stock cygwin installation,
which includes binaries of gcc-2.95.  BTW, if you are unaware of the fsf
ports to Windows, you may have used an incompatible tool in your
untarring.

From: Prasad Valmeti @ 2001-10-31  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 1999-04-30 23:15 ` Michael Collins
From: Michael Collins @ 1999-04-30 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: mcollins

  I've encountered some difficulties building and installing egcs-1.1.2
and wanted to bring them to your attention.  One was reported on Dec 15
by Hermann Hueni.  Follow-up suggestions centered around the version of
make being used, however that does not seem to be related.

  Background: make-3.77 and binutils-2.9.1 successfully built and
installed, with the paths to the resulting tools in the PATH
variable.  Bourne shell, CC variable points to gcc-2.8.1.  This
has been seen on Solaris (SunOS 5.6, UltraSPARC hardware) and Linux
(Debian 2.0 on a Pentium I).  All file systems locally mounted.

  Following the instructions included with the distribution,
I've created a build directory separate from the source tree.
On our network, we don't use the "/usr/local" convention,
so in the build directory I run the following:

  $ /p33/GNU/egcs-1.1.2/configure --prefix=/exec/gnu/elf --with-gnu-as \
  > --with-gnu-ld > Configure.log 2>&1

  In the Linux environment, I do use the "/usr/local" environment, so
my configure arguments there are:

  $ /home/mcollins/GNU/egcs-1.1.2/configure --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld \
    > Configure.log 2>&1

  This completes normally within a few minutes and the log file
shows no evidence of errors.  Upon completion, a number of subdirectories
and makefiles exist in the build directory.  So far, so good.

  The next step is to build the compiler:

  $ make bootstrap > Make.log 2>&1

  Again, nothing appears out of the ordinary in the log file.  Still good.

  Now to install.  I normally do everything except install as a normal
user, to limit exposure to potential disasters.

  Solaris:
  $ su root
  # make >& Install.log install

  Linux:
  $ su admin
  # make >& Install.log install

  After a few minutes, this operation comes to an end, and at the end
of the log file I see:

rm -f /exec/gnu/elf/man/man1/cccp.1
/bin/sh /p33/GNU/egcs-1.1.2/install-sh -c -m 644 /p33/GNU/egcs-1.1.2/gcc/cccp.1
/exec/gnu/elf/man/man1/cccp.1
chmod a-x /exec/gnu/elf/man/man1/cccp.1
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `f/intdoc.c'
Current working directory /p33/GNU/egcs-1.1.2-native/gcc
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-gcc'

  I encountered the same difficulty with egcs-1.1.1, and also when my
command line for make omitted the "bootstrap" argument (i.e., no
explicit argument to make).

  After much experimentation, I've determined that this problem exists
because the "make install" is being run by a user who doesn't own the
source and build trees (even though, in one case, that user is root).
I was not able to isolate the cause of the problem.  I have the results
of a number of test runs available should someone wish to check my
work.

  If I "su admin" on my Linux machine before untarring the source
tree or creating a build directory, everything works and I get a good
installation.  On my Solaris machine, "make bootstrap" fails with
the following message if I "su root" before creating the source or
build trees:

Making all in makeinfo
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `../lib/system.h'
Current working directory /p32/990421/Attempt_3/build/texinfo/makeinfo
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /p32/990421/Attempt_3/build/texinfo
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'
Current working directory /p32/990421/Attempt_3/build/texinfo
make: *** [all-texinfo] Error 1

  I was able to successfully build and install under Solaris only
by running configure as root directly in the source tree.  I'm not
too concerned about this problem, as I don't care to be doing more
than installing as root.  (It is probably unwise to administer
software distributions as root to begin with, however I'm limited in
the Solaris environment to the conventions of our existing network.)

  Any suggestions or remedies will be most appreciated.

				-- Mike Collins --

* installation problems
@ 1999-04-23 15:54 Michael Collins
From: Michael Collins @ 1999-04-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: mcollins

@ 1998-11-30 11:30 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-11-30 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peru; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199811301351.OAA16156@idea.esrf.fr >you write:
  >  1) I still continue to get " -g  is only supported when using GAS on this
  > processor" during the "make bootstrap".
You have to configure gcc to use gas.

  >  2) The "make bootstrap" failed at comparison stage probably because of the
  >
  > GAS not found but installed.
This is covered in the faq.

  >  3) Once built and installed, when I try to compile a small C++ program,
  >  the linker is not able to find the "libstdc++.a" file.
No idea.  You haven't provided enough information for us to even guess.

jeff

* Installation problems
@ 1998-11-30  5:56 peru
From: peru @ 1998-11-30  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

 Hi,

 I have spent a couple of hours to try to install the EGCS distribution
on my HP 700 workstation running HP-UX 10.20.

 Following the recommandations I have installed the GNU binutils on this
computer.

 Here are the major problems I encounter:

 1) I still continue to get " -g  is only supported when using GAS on this
processor" during the "make bootstrap".

 2) The "make bootstrap" failed at comparison stage probably because of the
GAS not found but installed.

 3) Once built and installed, when I try to compile a small C++ program,
 the linker is not able to find the "libstdc++.a" file.

 Any idea about those (my...) troubles?

 Thank's

 M. Peru

  European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF)
  PERU Michel
  BP 220
  38043 GRENOBLE Cedex
  FRANCE