* Profiling and C++
@ 2001-07-18  1:59 Bohdan Vlasyuk
From: Bohdan Vlasyuk @ 2001-07-18  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Is it true that I can't do any profiling with my C++ programs?

I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to work for me.

That's piece of makefile:

CC = g++
CFLAGS = -g -pg
LFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)
LIBS =
COMPILE = $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c

LINK = $(CC) $(LFLAGS) $(LIBS)

$(exe): $(o_files)
        $(LINK) -o $(exe) $(o_files)

%.cpp.o:
        $(COMPILE) $< -o $@

that's gprof output:

Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds.
 no time accumulated

  %   cumulative   self              self     total
 time   seconds   seconds    calls  Ts/call  Ts/call  name
  0.00      0.00     0.00    18568     0.00     0.00  data_start

index % time    self  children    called     name
                0.00    0.00   18568/18568       <hicore> (2)
[1]      0.0    0.00    0.00   18568         data_start [1]

There is no opinion so absurd that some philosopher will not express it.
		-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, "Ad familiares"

* Re: Profiling and C++
@ 2001-07-18  8:48 ` John Levon
From: John Levon @ 2001-07-18  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:52:18AM +0300, Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

> Is it true that I can't do any profiling with my C++ programs?

no

> I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to work for me.
>
> That's piece of makefile:
>
> CC = g++
> CFLAGS = -g -pg
> LFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)
> LIBS =
> COMPILE = $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c
>
> LINK = $(CC) $(LFLAGS) $(LIBS)

probably need -g -pg for the final link stage too.

john

--
"Voodoo Programming:  Things programmers do that they know shouldn't work but
 they try anyway, and which sometimes actually work, such as recompiling

* Re: Profiling and C++
@ 2001-07-18  9:11   ` Bohdan Vlasyuk
From: Bohdan Vlasyuk @ 2001-07-18  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Levon; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:48:46PM +0100, John Levon wrote:

>> I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to work for me.
>> That's piece of makefile:
>> CFLAGS = -g -pg
>> COMPILE = $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c
>> LINK = $(CC) $(LFLAGS) $(LIBS)
> probably need -g -pg for the final link stage too.
It is included. That's not the problem.

I've figured out that I and too old binutils, so I updated it, and it
works now. Sorry. :(.

[I still have questions, but I suppose that's wrong list for it]

--
Where are the calculations that go with a calculated risk?

* Re: Profiling and C++
@ 2001-07-18  9:12     ` John Levon
From: John Levon @ 2001-07-18  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:02:41PM +0300, Bohdan Vlasyuk wrote:

> I've figured out that I and too old binutils, so I updated it, and it
> works now. Sorry. :(.
>
> [I still have questions, but I suppose that's wrong list for it]

linuxperf@nl.linux.org ?

what are your problems ?

regards
john

--

@ 2001-07-18  9:10 Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2001-07-18  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bohdan Vlasyuk; +Cc: gcc

> Is it true that I can't do any profiling with my C++ programs?
>
>I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to work for me.

I did quick tests with 2.95.3, 3.0.x, and the mainline and it works
everywhere.  Notice, though that your program didn't accumulate
any time; that's why everything shows up as zero.

>Each sample counts as 0.01 seconds.
> no time accumulated

Janis