* Re: unwind-dw2-fde.[ch]
@ 2001-09-07 13:47 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2001-09-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mhudson; +Cc: gcc, patrick.mackinlay

> Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 21:52:57 -0500
> From: Matthew Hudson <mhudson@home.com>

> If someone can point me to a page that tells me what the protocol is
> for actually getting a problem fixed and not ignored I'd really like
> that.

It's in the FAQ:

http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html#support

* RE: unwind-dw2-fde.[ch]
@ 2001-09-06 19:53 Mackinlay, Patrick
From: Mackinlay, Patrick @ 2001-09-06 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'mike stump'; +Cc: gcc

> Would building on an nfs volume fix this problem?  If it does, that's
> what I'd recommend.
>
> If not, I'd recommend building via a cross compiler.  Should be fairly
> trivial, see the documentation for instructions.

Yes, it would/does fix the problem, and I've done this before with other
software. It would be better, IMHO, if the compiler could be built on the
native FS. The fact that this problem has only appeared since these two
files were added really makes me want to ask for them to be renamed before
it becomes more widespread. If this is too much to ask, just tell me and
I'll crawl back into my SVR3.2 hole ;)

Regards,
Pat Mackinlay
Kellogg Joint Venture

* Re: unwind-dw2-fde.[ch]
@ 2001-09-06 19:18 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2001-09-06 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, patrick.mackinlay

> From: "Mackinlay, Patrick" <patrick.mackinlay@kjv.com.au>
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:06:42 +0800

> In my work trying to build gcc with an old Intergraph InterPro as a host,
> I've run into a problem with file name length with two of the files added to
> the gcc-3.0 (that weren't a problem with 2.95.3). The two files
> (unwind-dw2-fde.c and unwind-dw2-fde.h) unfortunately overflow the
> 14-character max filename length of the host OS, leaving only one after a
> full tar -xf, and causing a build dependency problem later on.

> Although there are other >14 character filenames produced at various times
> (the host descriptor, in fact, is clipper-intergraph-clix), these have not
> yet caused a problem. Would it be too much to ask that the files in question
> could have their filenames shortened? It seems like a small price to pay to
> allow future build success on these older Unixen...

Would building on an nfs volume fix this problem?  If it does, that's
what I'd recommend.

If not, I'd recommend building via a cross compiler.  Should be fairly
trivial, see the documentation for instructions.

* unwind-dw2-fde.[ch]
@ 2001-09-06 19:04 Mackinlay, Patrick