* alphaev6-dec-osf4.0f bootstrap failing due to constructor encoding
@ 2001-09-11 14:50 John Wehle
From: John Wehle @ 2001-09-11 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I've been running into problems building on the Alpha for several days.
Make bootstrap fails with:

  Bootstrap comparison failure!
  crtfastmath.o differs
  make[1]: *** [compare] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/build/alphaev6-dec-osf4.0f/GNU/gcc-current/gcc'
  make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Running objdump and diff on crtfastmath.o results in:

2c2
< gcc/crtfastmath.o:     file format ecoff-littlealpha
---
> gcc/stage2/crtfastmath.o:     file format ecoff-littlealpha
20c20
< 0000000000000030 <_GLOBAL__I_.._.._.._.._.._src_GNU_gcc_current_gcc_config_alpha_crtfastmath.c11BSil>:
---
> 0000000000000030 <_GLOBAL__I_.._.._.._.._.._src_GNU_gcc_current_gcc_config_alpha_crtfastmath.ciajE3I>:

Anyone else seen this?  Any pointers on exactly how / where the name is
generated for a constructor?

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |

* Re: alphaev6-dec-osf4.0f bootstrap failing due to constructor encoding
@ 2001-09-12 12:30 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2001-09-12 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wehle; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 02:30:30PM -0400, John Wehle wrote:
> Does the name have to be different each time the file is compiled, or
> can we do something like append characters based on the file inode,
> offset into the file, ... ?  Something which results in the same encoding
> each time that function in that file is compiled.

That might be reasonable.  Perhaps including the modification
time of the source file as well.

r~

* Re: alphaev6-dec-osf4.0f bootstrap failing due to constructor encoding
@ 2001-09-12 11:30 John Wehle
From: John Wehle @ 2001-09-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rth; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-09-12 10:00 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2001-09-12 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wehle; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 06:44:50PM -0400, John Wehle wrote:
> How can a file compiled as part of bootstrapping (i.e. crtfastmath)
> pass compare if random characters are in it's name?

It can't.

@ 2001-09-11 15:45 John Wehle
From: John Wehle @ 2001-09-11 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: rth

Digging further into the alpha bootstrap failures due to crtfastmath.o
comparison errors I see that start_cdtor calls get_file_function_name
which calls get_file_function_name_long which calls append_random_chars
if this isn't the first global object.

How can a file compiled as part of bootstrapping (i.e. crtfastmath)
pass compare if random characters are in it's name?  Why are they