* Re: limits.h bug in gcc
@ 2001-09-12 13:33 Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2001-09-12 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> This is probably a stupid question, but is gcc 3.0.1 going to be
> fixed so it'll build as a cross compiler ? I'm trying to get it to
> build for arm-elf or sh-elf,

Rob, I strongly suggest trying to get powerpc-eabism working
first. For one thing, the ARM backend is not supported in gcc-3.0:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html

You'll have better lucking picking backends that are represented on this list.

For another thing, the regression tester uses powerpc-eabism, so it
usually works. Look through this list and see when it's working:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-regression/2001-09/

best,
benjamin

* RE: limits.h bug in gcc
@ 2001-09-14  3:42             ` GNUTeam
From: GNUTeam @ 2001-09-14  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Stubbs'; +Cc: rob, gcc, gcc-bugs

Hi!!

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will just try the build by skipping the test
by following your instructions.

Thanks & Regards
Rekha

From: Andrew Stubbs @ 2001-09-14  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuteam; +Cc: rob, gcc, gcc-bugs

@ 2001-09-13 22:40         ` GNUTeam
From: GNUTeam @ 2001-09-13 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rob Savoye', 'Andrew Stubbs'; +Cc: gcc, gcc-bugs

Hi!!!

I am also trying to build the gcc 3.0 and gcc 3.0.1 for sh-elf, sh-hms and
sh-coff targets on cygwin. Sh-elf target build successfully for both without
my changing any script. But the sh-coff and sh-hms are failing in build of
library libstdc++-v3.

Rob can you please send me what all changes you have done in configure
script, so that I can try that change for sh-hms and sh-coff and see whether
they built. I am building these targets for languages c and c++. The build
for sh-hms and sh-coff for only C is successful.

The error what I am getting is that the PC stops  after the 'checking for
working strncmp...' statement.

checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether
/home/kpit/sh-hmsbld3.0.1/build-gcc-3.0.1/gcc/xgcc -B/home/kpit
/sh-hmsbld3.0.1/build-gcc-3.0.1/gcc/ -nostdinc -B/home/kpit/sh-hmsbld3.0.1/b
uild
-gcc-3.0.1/sh-hms/newlib/ -isystem
/home/kpit/sh-hmsbld3.0.1/build-gcc-3.0.1/sh-
hms/newlib/targ-include -isystem
/home/kpit/src/gcc-3.0.1/newlib/libc/include -B
/usr/sh-hms3.0.1/sh-hms/bin/ -B/usr/sh-hms3.0.1/sh-hms/lib/ -isystem
/usr/sh-hms
3.0.1/sh-hms/include accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for working const... yes
checking for sys/file.h... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for strings.h... no
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking for time.h... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for sys/mman.h... no
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking whether errno must be declared... no
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for getpagesize... no
checking for working mmap... no

From: Andrew Stubbs @ 2001-09-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob; +Cc: gcc, gcc-bugs

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 rob@welcomehome.org wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 12:53:50PM +0100, Andrew Stubbs wrote:
>
> > I have absolutly no trouble building and using an sh-elf cross compiler
> > under cygwin, solaris and linux using newlib. I have successfully built
> > both 3.0 and 3.0.1. As far as I am concerned the target can be added to
> > the list on the web site.
>
>   I guess I should be more specific. libstdc++-v3 wouldn't build in gcc 3.0,
> but xgcc itself always did. The mknumeric_limits script was setup to only
> work natively. 3.0.1 did build after I played around with the configure
> arguments some, so I'm happy now.

I'll believe you about the script, but I've never had any trouble. I
configure it with --enable-languages=c,c++ and there are no other c++
libraries present so I guess it must be using it. I can compile hello
world (and therefore the standard c++ library), but I must admit I havn't
really done much more.

For C on the other hand I am more certain it works - in particular I have
used it to build the SHLinux kernel (doesn't really test the run time
libraries though).

@ 2001-09-13  8:01       ` Rob Savoye
From: Rob Savoye @ 2001-09-13  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Stubbs; +Cc: gcc, gcc-bugs

@ 2001-09-13  4:57     ` Andrew Stubbs
From: Andrew Stubbs @ 2001-09-13  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob; +Cc: pfeifer, gcc, gcc-bugs

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 rob@welcomehome.org wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 07:54:45PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > That would be great, thanks!  (Would you mind sending the announcement
> > also to gcc@gcc.gnu.org in this case?)
>
>   This is probably a stupid question, but is gcc 3.0.1 going to be fixed so
> it'll build as a cross compiler ? I'm trying to get it to build for arm-elf
> or sh-elf, so I can test the cross testing support in DejaGnu. I saw the same
> bug in GCC 3.0, where the script that generates the limits.h file was hardcoded
> to only work on a native system.
>
>   I guess I'll drop back to gcc 2.95.3 to build a cross complier, but I was
> hoping 3.0.1 would have this fixed. Gcc 3.0.1 also doesn't build natively with
> --enable-threads either...
>
>                  from ../../../../gcc-3.0.1/gcc/libgcc2.c:1166:
> /home/rob/projects/gnu/obj/redhat/arm-elf/gcc/include/limits.h:125:75: limits.h: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [libgcc/./_fixunsdfsi.o] Error 1
>
> 	- rob -

I have absolutly no trouble building and using an sh-elf cross compiler
under cygwin, solaris and linux using newlib. I have successfully built
both 3.0 and 3.0.1. As far as I am concerned the target can be added to
the list on the web site.

On the other hand I did have a lot of trouble getting dejagnu working - I
have managed to get it cobbled together after a lot of grief so that it
works. Best of luck fixing it!

|  Andrew Stubbs,                   |  E-mail: Andrew.Stubbs@st.com    |
|  STMicroelectronics Ltd.,         |  or      stubbsa@bristol.st.com  |
|  1000 Aztec West,                 |                                  |
|  Almondsbury,                     |  Tel:    +44 (0)1454 462325      |
|  Bristol, BS32 4SQ, U.K.          |  Fax:    +44 (0)1454 617910      |

* limits.h bug in gcc
@ 2001-09-12 11:34   ` Rob Savoye
From: Rob Savoye @ 2001-09-12 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc, gcc-bugs