* GCC and LSB
@ 2001-09-13  5:28 Harold Hartley
From: Harold Hartley @ 2001-09-13  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi, I am wondering when the GCC compiler will be made to compile to the linux
standard base for programs and such..
I know that mandrake can only go so far with LSB but until the compilers
start using the LSB developers and such will continue to having to write code
for several different formats...
I just don't understand why the creators of compilers doesn't start going
with the LSB and the rest will have to follow....

thanks
Harold
haroldh@midmaine.com

* Re: GCC and LSB
@ 2001-09-13  8:00 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2001-09-13  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harold Hartley; +Cc: gcc

> Hi, I am wondering when the GCC compiler will be made to compile to the
> linux standard base for programs and such..

Oh, we're so lucky RMS doesn't read this list. :-)

GCC is a GNU program, not a Linux program.  It runs on many platforms.
It's up to distribution packagers to make the adjustments needed to
get the installation to correspond to local standards such as the LSB.

As for gcc installing in /usr/local by default: it's a feature.  If
it defaulted to /usr/bin, we'd have rookie developers blowing away
their system compiler all the time.  It's not hard to build it right
by setting the --prefix option.