From: David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
To: Bernd Schmidt <bernds@redhat.com>
Cc: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Loop unroll fixes
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:47:00 -0000	[thread overview]

	If the GCC developers with the experience and privileges to review
patches don't have enough time to review all of the patches, then we
explicitly should tell the GCC developer community that.  Implying that
GCC development can handle the volume of patches, but letting most patches
fall through the cracks helps no one.  We need to attract more GCC
developers to whom responsibility can be spread, not discourage the very
developers who could become those maintainers and reviewers.

	We also have to accept that fixing the problem will require
modifications to GCC development policy in order to balance responsiveness
to developers with stability of the compiler.  We already have started to
address that with the new rules for checking in and reverting patches.

David

	P.S. I am sorry that my original message upset some people, but I
think it is good if it can lead to this type of open discussion about the
problems in GCC development and how to improve the situation.