* gcc 3.0.1
@ 2001-10-14  7:51 Carlos F Sopuerta
From: Carlos F Sopuerta @ 2001-10-14  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

This is just to let you know that I have successfully built and
installed GCC 3.0.1. in configuration i586-pc-linux-gnu (Caldera
OpenLinux version 2.2).

# Carlos F Sopuerta                                                    #
#----------------------------------------------------------------------#
# Relativity and Cosmology Group                                       #
# School of Computer Science and Mathematics                           #
# Portsmouth University      + ----------------------------------------#
# Mercantile House           | *  E-mail:   carlos.sopuerta@port.ac.uk #
# Hampshire Terrace          | *  Telephone:   + 44 - 23 - 9284 - 5831 #
# Portsmouth PO1 2EG         | *  FAX:         + 44 - 23 - 9284 - 3106 #
# BRITAIN                    | *  URL:  http://www.gravity.port.ac.uk/ #

* Re: gcc 3.0.1
@ 2001-10-15  9:15 ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2001-10-15  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos F Sopuerta; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 03:41:51PM +0100, Carlos F Sopuerta wrote:
> This is just to let you know that I have successfully built and
> installed GCC 3.0.1. in configuration i586-pc-linux-gnu (Caldera
> OpenLinux version 2.2).

Thanks!  I've added this to the GCC 3.0 build status page at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html .

Janis

* GCC 3.0.1
@ 2001-08-16 11:05 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-08-16 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I will be creating another GCC 3.0.1 prerelease today.  If you
have oustanding, approved, changes that you have not yet checked in,
please do so ASAP.

I anticipate this being the final prerelease.

* Re: GCC 3.0.1
@ 2001-06-22 11:24   ` Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-06-22 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph S. Myers; +Cc: gcc

> What about (non-regression) documentation patches?  Should those go to the
> branch (and be applied to the branch where they were applied to the
> mainline only after the branch closed, e.g. merging the cpp and install
> manuals from mainline)?

Sorry; I should have specified.  Any and all documentation patches
are OK.  The reason is that the risk there is much smaller -- it
is highly unlikely we will somehow critically break the compiler by
documenting additional #pragmas, for example.

>> In addition, we should try to fix as many other problems as possible,
>> especially cases where we generate incorrect code.
>
> That is, as many other regression problems, not other bugs?

Right.  Our goal is not to fix all bugs; it is to make the 3.0 series
something that everyone feels they can upgrade to safely.  That means
plaform support, and that programs that used to work still do.

> What about mainline bugs that are regressions from 3.0?  Should those be
> marked "high", for convenience when working on 3.1, but have [3.1] put in
> their synopses to avoid confusing them with 3.0.1-high bugs?

I don't know.  This is where GNATS really just doesn't have the
sophistication we need.  Priorities should actually be release numbers;
then the priority would be the release in which we hope to fix the bug.
Is there any hope of implementing that?  If not, your suggestion sounds
fine to me.

* Re: GCC 3.0.1
@ 2001-06-22  2:01 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2001-06-22  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mitchell; +Cc: gcc

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* GCC 3.0.1
@ 2001-06-21 14:13 Mark Mitchell
From: Mark Mitchell @ 2001-06-21 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am pleased to see that the world did not stop spinning after we released
GCC 3.0.

However, there are clearly some important issues that we need to fix, and
for that
we need a GCC 3.0.1 release.

The GCC 3.0.1 release will be a critical bug-fix only release.  Relevant
information follows.

Thank you,

Schedule
--------

2001-08-01	Release GCC 3.0.1

2001-07-21	Freeze, produce release candidate.

                All non-documentation changes after this point will be my
express
                approval only.  I intend to make many fewer such approvals
than
                I did during the final week before GCC 3.0.

2001-06-21	Begin development.

Procedures
----------

The check-in rules are similar to those preceding the 3.0 release.  In
particular, every
check-in should fix a regression from GCC 2.95.x.  The usual people can
approve patches
in the usual way.  Patches that cause regressions or bootstrap failures are
liable to
be immediately removed.  Proceed with caution: it is vital that we not
regress
relative to GCC 3.0 with the GCC 3.0.1 release.

There are no specific release criteria for this release.  However, the most
critical issue is that we support more of the platforms that we did in GCC
2.95.  For example, I know that the RTEMS platforms do not work well with
GCC 3.0.  From conversations with Joel, many
of the problems are configury; let's fix those.  I know that there are
bootstrap failures
and aborts on some embedded systems; let's fix those.  Our goal is to
eventualy obsolete
GCC 2.95; in order to do that is that GCC 3.0.1 work well on lots of
systems.

In addition, we should try to fix as many other problems as possible,
especially cases
where we generate incorrect code.

Use of GNATS
------------

Let's again mark regressions from GCC 2.95.x as `high' priority bugs.  We
don't need to
analyze every bug, but if you find a new regression, or you look at a PR
and realize
it is a regression from GCC 2.95.x (or from GCC 3.0, heaven forbid!) mark
it is as `high'.
We will *not* necessarily fix all such bugs -- but we can try.  Marking
them `high' will
make it easy for us to find them.

Tantalizing Hint

Stay tuned for information about GCC 3.1.  The SC is continuing to debate
how to approach
this release.  While there is no guarantee, I would expect resolution
within the next
week or two.