* Question about memory usage difference
@ 2001-10-15 23:44 Zou Min
From: Zou Min @ 2001-10-15 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC ML

Dear all,

I am using RH7.1 with glibc-2.2.2-10. I installed both gcc-2.95.3 and
gcc-2.91 (egcs-1.1.2).

I know there is a big change from gcc-2.91 to gcc-2.95.3. I tried to use
both of them to compile set of source files. I found that the number of
disk reads are larger when memory size decreases when using gcc-2.95.3.

Is that because in gcc-2.95.3, the developers tried to reduce memory
requirement in a way that caused more disk caches reserverd? (just a tentative
guess)

Anyway, can some body tell me how the memory usage differs between
gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-2.91 when compiling the same source?

Or, anywhere I can find out the related information? or which part of the
source code should I look for?

Thanks a lot!

--
Cheers!

Zou Min

* Re: Question about memory usage difference
@ 2001-10-16  5:59 ` Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 2001-10-16  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zou Min; +Cc: GCC ML

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 02:43:14PM +0800, Zou Min wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using RH7.1 with glibc-2.2.2-10. I installed both gcc-2.95.3 and
> gcc-2.91 (egcs-1.1.2).

This list is for discussion related to the development of the FSF version
of GNU compiler collection (gcc) which replaced egcs a long time ago.
Please read http://gcc.gnu.org/ for more information, faq stuff etc.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>

* Re: Question about memory usage difference
@ 2001-10-16  7:11   ` Zou Min
From: Zou Min @ 2001-10-16  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Wood; +Cc: GCC ML

> > I am using RH7.1 with glibc-2.2.2-10. I installed both gcc-2.95.3 and
> > gcc-2.91 (egcs-1.1.2).
>
> This list is for discussion related to the development of the FSF version
> of GNU compiler collection (gcc) which replaced egcs a long time ago.
> Please read http://gcc.gnu.org/ for more information, faq stuff etc.

Could you give some pointers where I can find the information about the
difference between gcc and egcs, especially in terms of memory usage?

Thank you very much!

--

@ 2001-10-16  7:57     ` Carlo Wood
From: Carlo Wood @ 2001-10-16  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zou Min; +Cc: GCC ML

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:09:55PM +0800, Zou Min wrote:
> Could you give some pointers where I can find the information about the
> difference between gcc and egcs, especially in terms of memory usage?

No.  egcs is version 2.91, after that we had 2.95 and 3.0.
Next week 3.0.2 is released.  egcs is too old and not supported anymore.

I'd like to help you with information about difference between 2.95.3
and 3.0.2 in terms of memory usage, but I have no clear overview here.
Besides, you aren't using 3.0.2 and I have the feeling you still didn't
read all information available on the URL given.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>

* Re: Question about memory usage difference
@ 2001-10-16  8:55       ` Zou Min
From: Zou Min @ 2001-10-16  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Wood; +Cc: GCC ML

> > Could you give some pointers where I can find the information about the
> > difference between gcc and egcs, especially in terms of memory usage?
>
> No.  egcs is version 2.91, after that we had 2.95 and 3.0.
> Next week 3.0.2 is released.  egcs is too old and not supported anymore.

Sorry, I still would like to compare egcs-1.1.2 and gcc-2.95.3.
From http://gcc.gnu.org/news , I found Inlining improvements happened after
release of egcs-1.1.2 and before release gcc-2.95.3. So, can I say this is
a big difference between them in terms of egcs-1.1.2 and gcc-2.95.3 ?

However, I can't find any docs about old egcs, except the release notes.
And what other major changes affects the memory performance between them?

Thanks!

--
Cheers!

Zou Min
zoum@comp.nus.edu.sg
Picture your oldest, most distinguished, father-figuresque oedipal professor
protesting that he doesn't offer fellatio to poodles.
		-- Omar Haneef, '96, on _swat.talk

* Re: Question about memory usage difference
@ 2001-10-16  9:33         ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2001-10-16  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zou Min; +Cc: Carlo Wood, GCC ML

> Sorry, I still would like to compare egcs-1.1.2 and gcc-2.95.3.

You are free to do that, but this is off-topic for this mailing list.